Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

spark plugs

EYESOFTEX

Corvette
1972 Corvette (C3) LT1
ok everyone here`s an easy one. instead of putting stock spark plugs in my 72 C3 I want to put a little hotter plug in. what AC Delco plug do I use. Thanks Rex;help

You might want to try the newer A/C Rapid Fire plugs instead of changing heat range. They do make a difference. I use them in all my Vettes. Why do you think you need a hotter plug?

Taz:w

Spark plugs

Taz , I was just wanting to get a little better performance,And a better start up on cold mornings, I don`t use a choke on my Q-jet,running a miled street /strip cam, changed from points to elec.ign. Rex

Yep the R43's are hotter than stock R44's. The post on Rapid Fires is pretty accurate. They run well in the Vettes.

PS - the local engine building shop uses nothing but NGK's in the race engines as they seem to extend the RPM's some and run hoter for better combustion. Don't know how this plays on the street as I have never tried them, Just and FYI

Spark plugs

Thanks you guys, for your help I will try the the R43and see how they work for me.:s Rex

Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure the AC Delco heat ranges are the other way around. The higher the number, the hotter the plug in other words.

Many Corvettes were originally equipped with the 43's and found that they were just too cold for around town driving. Ideally, you should run a 44, but these are sometimes difficult to find, so a 45 can be substituted.

Eyesoftex, running a hotter plug will not get you any of the performance increases you are looking for, nor will it make the engine easier to start when cold. If your existing plug is running at the correct temp, going hotter or colder will worsen things.

Taz,
Do the A/C Rapid Fire plugs have a specific number, (example: Rxx) for our 350 block and year. I'm thinking about going to this plug for my 1978 L82- all stock.

thanks for your responce...

Sully

Spark plugs

Ok , Thanks for Your help. I think I`m going with a Back with rapid fire plugs,all it really needs is just a tune up, this has`nt been done in three years , I`m running R44`s in it now ,so its just time to do it , she`s my everyday car & its time to give her some new spark! Thanks for the input people (eyesoftex) Rex :w

I can definately recommend the Rapid Fires. I have used them for many thousands of miles in my '81 4-spd., and they do give a slightly better idle, as advertised. There is lots of advertising b.s. and design gimmicks concerning spark plugs, and the Rapid Fires are the only ones I have found where the advertising is correct. Some years ago one of the better auto mags did a comparison of plugs, and they noted the same thing about the Rapid Fires.

--Chris Kennedy

GOOD EVENING, now i am gonna throw you a curve. i am using BOSCH platinum + . i am very happy with the start-up and running. also they are forgiving when your mixture isn't quite right.
i also use them in my harleys. i use the platinum +4"s in the bikes with the same results.

ROBIN

:_rock

Rapid fire a/c plugs rule in Vettes....

Just my .02

Taz :crazy

I just had my L-81 350 rebuilt to a 383 stroker. CR is about 9.6:1 and I've got the stock heads. What plugs should I be running (heat, gap). I'll go with the rapid fires, i'm just not sure which ones.

I will also have to agree with the Rapid fires........
I was a sceptic for sure 'cause theycostme about $4.00 a piece. But after running them for while I noticed better Idle more acceleration and better gas mileage. They are supposed to be a variable heat range and can handle different conditions because of the way the electrodes are made.The number they gave me was #10 for a '73' 350. Check out the AC web site.........

Use Good Quality Normal Plugs

Anytime you spend 4 times the normal cost of a product, your mind (and your ego) tells you it "runs better". Same is true with just about anything else like the phoney PIAA "superwhite" headlight bulbs. Pure marketing hype and BS.

Show me one credible study that shows the Rapid Fire plugs operate better than a standard AC, NGK or Bosch plug. One. Any takers? No, because the Rapid Fire plugs are not better, just more expensive.

Save your money, replace plugs on a regular basis and enjoy your car. Forget the hype.

Re: Use Good Quality Normal Plugs

Roy said:
Anytime you spend 4 times the normal cost of a product, your mind (and your ego) tells you it "runs better". Same is true with just about anything else like the phoney PIAA "superwhite" headlight bulbs. Pure marketing hype and BS.

Show me one credible study that shows the Rapid Fire plugs operate better than a standard AC, NGK or Bosch plug. One. Any takers? No, because the Rapid Fire plugs are not better, just more expensive.

Save your money, replace plugs on a regular basis and enjoy your car. Forget the hype.

Gee Roy, you sound like me ranting about synthetic oil or pertronics units! FWIW, I agree with you!
;worship

I recommend the Rapid Fires because experience has taught me that they do make a difference. After 20 years of experience in the business of turning wrenches I have seen what works and what doesnt. I have used many different plugs in many different applications both foreign and domestic and I feel for older street driven cars with mileage over 50,000 ,the rapid fires resist some of the driveability issues that seem to plague other plugs. I will list my preferences based on experience in my day to day dealings and what I see as a tech. They are by no means an endorsement to any manufacturer just a list based on personal experience and personal preference:

Corvettes from 68-96-

A/C Rapid Fire
A/C
Autolite
NGK
Bosch
Champion-last resort

Based on most domestic Vehicles-

Autolite
NGK
Bosch
Champion-again last resort

Most Chrysler-

Champion - Most Chryslers love 'em
Autolite
A/C

Most Europeian-(sp?)

Bosch....unless a specific plug is specified by mfgr.

Most Asian -

NGK...unless a specific plug is specified by mfgr.

Again these are based on my experience in working on cars for the past 20 years and are no way an endorsement.They are simply what works well and keeps the comebacks down to a minimum. I'm sure there will be many flames but remember just like there are two sides of every page there are two sides to every story. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and preference.
My job is to keep 'em rolling the best way I know how.

Happy Turkey Day!

:w

Taz

WOW!:argue Not so easy . Thanks all for the input. that leaves me thinking stay stock save money .Its just really a tune up time for me. :w Rex

Re: Use Good Quality Normal Plugs

Roy said:

I have had my car for over 10 years and I can tell by the 'seat of my pants' when it runs better and the fuel mileage can be calculated with a pencil and paper.Thats not hype at any price........Just facts. But if you want one...heres a study...http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_plugs_rap_study.htm

Sorry mate, but there is no "independent study" in your attached AC Delco website. There is a reference to such a study but nothing else - no specefic reference or test resullts.

I'm not saying that the Rapid Fire is a bad plug or that it is made poorly. The Rapid Fire appears to be a conventional style plug made with quality components - just like the rest of all quality spark plug brands.

I am saying that people often waste good money on products that are no better than those costing much less. Once the money is spent, they have a vested interest in believing that the product was worth the extra bucks. That's O.K., but when they advise others to follow their unfounded folley, that's where I take exception.

Eight quality spark plugs should cost around $10, not $36. Plain and simple.

Again, I agree with Roy.

A piece of advertising by a manufacturer claiming that their product is better is not independent proof, it's simple advertising. Name one piece of advertising that DOESN'T claim that their product is better?

Seat of the pants impressions are not independent proof either, for the reasons Roy stated.

If you want to prove these plugs (or anything else) is really better, then do back to back blind tests with both types of plugs.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom