Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spec Question

Corvette
1975 Red on RED Coupe
Hey everyone. Got a quick spec question here. I finally started the body mount replacement yesterday and in all of my manuals there is no reference to the torque setting for the mount bolts. (Still waiting for Zip to get my GM Shop Manual to me). Could anyone look that up for me. Much appreciated.

(If it makes a difference, 1975 coupe)

According to the GM Shop Manual, body mounting bolts should be torqued to 40 to 50 ft. lb. (page 1B-30 BODY, 1974 Chassis Service Manual). The 1975 Supplement says, quote "All bolts should be torqued to specifications." p. 1B-10.

Thanks, Appreciate the Info. Finished the job today,I'll torque them down in the moring. Elapsed time for the job was about 8 hours with no major problems. The rubber ones I removed were completly shot. the cone bushings looked lie donuts. Now I need to straighten the body on the frame . I did find that the frame sits lower on one side, About 1/2 inch. Can anyone confirm that that will be solved with th front and rear suspension rebuild?

Jim

Your frame sitting lower on one side could be spring fatigue. Are you still running the original springs?

Yes. I planned on installing a composite mono spring in the rear. What spring rate should I use in the front or the back for that matter. I don't know what stock is, and I have seen different ratings. What does this affect other than hieght? What do these ratings mean? Should the two rates match up from front to back? Accually I guess I'm asking for a lesson in springs.

Thanks Wicky

Personally on the 74, I went with F41/gymcana equlivent multi-leaf steel spring in the rear and the matching front coils. Ride height seems to be pretty darn close to stock, it dosent ride bad, but it's stiff as s&*t.

Ive found that it's so stiff, under light manuvers, like dodging roadkill on the interstate @70, it's kinda screwy feeling. My theory is this: I ran 235/70/15 BFG Radial TA's, good tires, but too tall, should have gone with 60's. I think the suspension is tight enough that the tires are wobbling the sidewalls very noticable when your at speed trying to swerve. Point two, which may or may not help point one, is it needs larger swaybars front and rear, I think that will help, and coupled with the lower profile tires it should handle pretty darn well.

That's my experience. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom