Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Speedometer cable 78 C3

Bill Coke

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver Coupe and 1978 Lt Blue Coupe
I need to replace the speedometer cable on my 78 4 spd. I understand there are two parts which I will need to replace both speedo and odometer cables. Is there a diagram somewhere that I can look at to see how I go about taking the old ones out and installing the new ones?
Thank you,
Bill

I need to replace the speedometer cable on my 78 4 spd. I understand there are two parts which I will need to replace both speedo and odometer cables. Is there a diagram somewhere that I can look at to see how I go about taking the old ones out and installing the new ones?
Thank you,
Bill
The AIM will have that. If you don't have one, I strongly recommend getting one from your favorite parts supplier. If you don't get an answer, I'll try to find the diagram in my 78's AIM and try to scan it for you. But knowing the crew here, someone is sure to reply. :)

There's only one cable, the odo runs off the same one. I assume you just need to replace a broken drive cable and not the outer jacket. Disconnect the cable at the trannie and speedo and pull the drive cable out. It normally comes out from the speedo end, but if yours is broken, the broken piece will need to come out from the trannie end. The hard part is getting you hand under the dash to disconnect it. I find it easier to remove the seat. Replace the cable from the speedo end first.

Gary
Here's the AIM page
78speedocable.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom