Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spoiler for 82 Vette

jdp6000

Corvette
1982 CROSSFIRE
I have an 82 vette. I noticed the front of my new spoiler just floats. It attaches to nothing in the center. There is a skid plate directly above with a steel extention the shape of a finger. should the center of the spoiler attach to this extension. Can someone look at theirs and let me know? I would greatly appreciate it.

Jim

That's how it came from the factory.The air dam just lays on the support with no attaching hardware.

My support is about an inch above the spoiler. Nothing is holding it. So that support should be below the spoiler?

Jim

Sorry about that,yes the spoiler just lays on the finger.The finger gets pushed up when we drive over a curb stop.The spoiler is loose on purpose so that it will receive litte or no damage when we drive over an object that bends the finger.

Thanks.

I see the the black rubber drop down part of the spoiler is two pieces...a left and a right. The finger I take it should be right in the center...holding the middle up? My finger is perfectly straight...I assume I need to bend it down to catch the spoiler?

Jim

your front air dam(spoiler) should be resting up on that finger,as it helps air getinto the radiator!!

hope this helps

bill:w

So THAT explains it!

The last owners put 82 styled nose and tail on mine...and the front spoiler did not get the finger of which you speak....wait...I meant...I didn't...I.... :L

Anyhow, to try to direct more air, I added two adjustable bolts to near the leading edge of the deal, and some flange/washer types to the edges to get it down and straighter. I have hit it with numerous things, but it's still sorta on there...

re that 'fingers' orientation?

bill81vette said:
your front air dam(spoiler) should be resting up on that finger,as it helps air getinto the radiator!!

hope this helps

Hi

Coincidentally the air deflector on my newly aquired 81 is slightly damaged in the front center and is hanging by a piece of wire . There is a bracket just in front of the deflector hanging straight down, but the part I would describe as a finger is bent straight upward, almost forming a rear side to the bracket. Do I understand correctly that the finger shaped part needs to be bent rearwards at some angle? (ie. pointing rearwards instead of skyward) At about what angle? It appears that if the 'finger' part was bent back and down(to something approaching level) the deflector would catch about half the length of the finger. If this is the case does anyone have any suggestion for bending the thing back into place without snapping the darn thing off. Heating with torch would seem to be called for, but the possiblity of melting rubber is a bit scary. Maybe the bracket will come off easily?

I need to aquire new lower spoiler pieces as the left one has a couple bites out of it. I see Ecklers has them reasonably cheap.

Grateful for any insights

Thx Steve

steve,If I understand you correctly your finger bent rearward,(which is correct),and the air dam behind the front bumper is resting upon it.there shouldn't be any need for it to be adjuted further.

Hi,

Bill, Thx for replying.:)

Sorry if my previous post wasn't clear. The part of the bracket I would describe as a finger is pointing straight up toward the sky, not rearward. Like a third side to the backet.
So it should be pointing rearward approximately level with the ground?

It looks like that would work if I can bend it without snapping it off.

I just bought the car and I found it that way.:confused

If I could pick your brain a little more,,

I have noticed that on the outer front ends of the air deflector there is a kind of semi-circle shaped flange about 6 inches long, with three bolt holes in it, presumably to attach to something. I can't see anything under there that it could attach to. Am I missing a couple of braces or some sort of panels?

Happy cruisin :w

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom