Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sport Seats - Lumbar Support and Bolsters

S

sean.snider

OK - You're going to think I am crazy, but...

98 Coupe, 6 spd with sport seats. On the driver's side, the lumbar support and side bolster adjustment DOES NOT work... It seems to have failed around 20,000 miles (off the warranty - due to age)... Passenger side works fine.

But - sometimes the adjustments work by themselves! With the ignition off and everything in the car turned off. Last night I happened to be in the garage and it was quiet... Then I heard the seat occasionally cycling itself. It has done this at least several times that I know of... I guess it does it sometimes when I'm no watching too... Any idea what is going on? This makes me nervous - as it could run my battery down...

thanks, Sean

I'm not a C5 expert but perchance does your car have memory seat adjustment? If it does the key fob triggers the seat to move into position I think. If not, then maybe someone else can chime in for the fix. You don't have ghost do you?? :eek

Randy:w

Sounds like there might be a short in the wiring harness under the drivers seat. You may have to unbolt the seat from the track and check to see if the harness has any breaks or excessive wear points. Since the seat appears to work when you’re out of the car, it may be that the harness is being pinched when there’s weight in the drivers seat. Does it work properly when you’re outside of the car operating the controls?

Hi there,
Sometimes, if the seating surface sags into the frame, it will rub through wires, creating the condition you are experiencing.
I would say that removal of the seat, and full inspection of the wiring is needed here.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

I have a similar problem; the lumbar support and bolsters just tightened up while I was driving, then it let out all the air and doesn't operate now (although the motor seems to operate on its' own now and then, but doesn't inflate the seat).

Any suggestions (and how hard is it to remove the seat)?

Don't turn your back on that thing, it's a living , breathing beast.

Take C4C5's advice.

vettepilot

C'mon, it was much more fun thinking that the seat was being adjusted to better fit a ghost....:)

well that's interesting, my wife may not be crazy after all, besides letting me buy the C5, the other day she swore the seat was massaging her! Maybe it was just experiencing the phenomenon just discussed. And I yelled at it for getting too friendly with her backside.

Bruce

Careful, ghosts tend to thrive on negative reinforcement - yell at them to stop, and they work harder. Your wife's backside may be in jeopardy....:D You may have to arrange an exorcism....

I had that same problem on my 98 after about two years.

Sometimes just driving down the road and the motors would start running.
Othertimes the car was parked in the garage and you could hear them running.

Think the "parts replacing" dealership replaced the switches and some wire.

Also had a problem of the leather wearing down on both seats. Maybe it was alive and outgrowing it's skin.

cavettefan said:
Careful, ghosts tend to thrive on negative reinforcement - yell at them to stop, and they work harder. Your wife's backside may be in jeopardy....:D You may have to arrange an exorcism....
Just don't cross your streams!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom