Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

spotty lamination of rear window on coupe

CeeFive

Corvette
2008 VR ZO6
Has anyone noticed the spotty look of the rear window especially in the sun on the coupe? Is this a common problem? Mine has been getting quite a bit worse and it spends little time in the sun. It almost looks as if the laminations were not done quite right or something. It has that look that some glass does when you look at it through polarized sunglasses, except mine looks like that all the time. Thanks.

The rear window is tempered glass not laminated.
The mottling that you see is from the tempering process.
In the bending and tempering process the glass is heated and
bent and then transferred very quickly into a high pressure " air bath where it is cooled at a controlled rate. If the glass is "overheated" (or the fan intake is dirty) the surface will display the pattern of the air nozzles. Normally the bad ones are rejected but a few slip through the cracks (no pun intended). The glass cannot be buffed out don't even try.The cooling rate sets up stresses in the glass which makes it 5 times stronger than regular glass and when it does break, it breaks into tiny pieces. If it is under warranty I'd b%^& till a replacement was made. If not you will either have to live with it or fork $$$ out. Sorry to tell you this.

Thanks alot for the info on this. I have a really good dealer and the car has 3200 miles on it so I will talk to them about warranty. The problem is quite pronounced and you can even see the spot shadows on the rug pretty much all the time. Thanks again.

spotted window glass

When I wear my sunglasses, I see the spots on almost every car. They just seem to be part of the deal with the tinted glass. Maybe yours are worse than normal, but I see that on my '02 Z06 and on just about every car that I see with tinted windows.

I realize that you can see the spots especially when wearing polarized sunglasses except that you can see the spots on mine ALL the time. You certainly don't need sunglasses to see them although the spots look as though you COULD be wearing sunglasses. They are that noticeable. Even on a cloudy day the entire center portion of my rear window is light and dark spots which will even reflect on the carpet of the interior.

I'd definately try the warantee route on yours.
The only other way ___If it got broken.....:eyerole :eyerole

Tinting...

I think the rear hatch has a layer of tinting on the inside which tends to separate from the antenna and heating elements. My '98 is doing the same thing. It seems to be coming apart from the center-rear of the hatch. In my case the old tinting needs to be removed and then redone by an experienced installer. I'm looking at approximately $350 (including the side windows).

Hope it helps!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom