Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spring retainer bushings

D

Doug'sL81

Playing around the rear end of the vette I noticed that the bushings at the ends of the leafspring are cracking. My car has the single fiberglass spring or as the manual calls it the transverse spring, at the end of the spring linked to the spindle is a long bolt with two rubber bushings held by a castle nut. I believe they are called spring retainer bushings. I think I found the bushings at the Chevy dealer, the parts man asked if both bushings are the same as his book doesn’t id them other than bushings. I'm thinking yes, but I don't know for sure. Are they? Also this looks like a straightforward operation. The service manual says to C-clamp it and jack the leaf spring until tension is off the bolt. Is there anything I should know in addition, like any hidden safety issues?

Thanks

Doug

Doug,

You should clamp 2 blocks of wood to the spring with a C-clamp. This will prevent the clamp from damaging the spring as well as keeping the jack from sliding up the spring. I would also consider using a piece of rubber over the jack end for the same reason. Check the condition of all your rubber bushings as you may find the same condition elswhere. I recently bough a complete set of bushings from Vette Brakes for my 81 since I found all the bushings were deteriorating.

So far I know I need to replace four bushings (two on each side), where are the other bushings located? Thanks for the tip on using wood blocks. The service manual states that I should clamp it about 9 inches from the end. I thought closer to the end would be better. I also bought new retainers just to be on the safe side. Gosh this is fun, sorta.

Doug,

There are rubber bushings on the trailing arms, lower shock mounts, and differential carrier mount right above the propeller shaft. The differential mount is much easier to change with the propeller shaft out. I found my shock mount bushings were almost non-existent when I changed them out. I did replace the shocks later on and the new ones came with rubber bushings already in them.

Is the differential Mount bushing also called the center bushing? It looks like two rubber doughnuts one smaller then the other. If so I have a new one which I will replace as soon as I get the propeller shaft off, this weekend (I Hope). I have new shocks all round (by the previous owner), but will have to check those bushings. I'll check my Assembley manual to locate the trailing arm bushing. opefully they are good. Thanks for your help.

Doug

sounds right Doug........I just looked at mine as I have not put it in yet, one bushing is larger than the other

Dale

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom