Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Squeaky belt

Vettepirate

Corvette
2002 Blue z06
Small concern, but really annoying noise.

It seems to act up for a few minutes when I start the car, and then at random intervals (when the engine isnt drowning it out) like at stops.

Should i buy one of those cans of belt-lube? I figured i could take it in to the shop to have it fixed but i dont want to pay a deductible just for that and a slightly crooked rear marker. Im not sure if all these products i can buy at my local store will help, or make things worse, for my vette id rather know ahead of time.

I wouldnt mind getting rid of that noise, its embarassing to drive such a nice car when it sounds so bad.

I've found that any belt noise is usually a pulley alignment issue, or a belt tensioner pulley issue. Belt dressing will work for a few minutes, only to have the noise return. How many miles do you have on this current belt?

Ive only had the car for a few months, so I really dont know about much at this point.

Ill just bring it to the dealer when its time, i dont trust myself to work on that thing hehe.

Agree with Todd. I had a similar squeak that I think was the tensioner pulley. It's very likely that both belts are in good shape but a good idea to check them out. I didn't realize at the time that there were two belts as I thought it all ran off one large serpentine.

I like it so much better with the sound gone. :)

Leon

The belt tensioners and/or idler pulleys are famous for this. They contain sealed bearings and must be replaced. It is VERY common.

I had that start up noise. I replaced the A/C tensionner and A/C idler pulley. Noise was still there. The accessory belt tensionner was only a few months old, so I replaced the accessory belt idler (under the alternator) and that fixed the problem. For one guy, the problem was the alternator.

I have an interesting belt story that may be an isolated incident, but I learned the hard way. When my car rolled over 50K miles, I went down to the dealer and bought a brand new GM belt, holy $%^# at the tune of $58.00!!! WTF? I installed this expensive belt, only to have the belt fail in less than a week. It started to come apart along the edge and spewing the sewn in wire. I was bull%^&t. I went into Autozone and bought their cheap Duralast belt for like $17.00 and it is still like brand new no problems. I didn't want to bring the GM belt back, because I felt that they would just give me the business about the belt on a modified car.

I have an interesting belt story that may be an isolated incident, but I learned the hard way. When my car rolled over 50K miles, I went down to the dealer and bought a brand new GM belt, holy $%^# at the tune of $58.00!!! WTF? I installed this expensive belt, only to have the belt fail in less than a week. It started to come apart along the edge and spewing the sewn in wire. I was bull%^&t. I went into Autozone and bought their cheap Duralast belt for like $17.00 and it is still like brand new no problems. I didn't want to bring the GM belt back, because I felt that they would just give me the business about the belt on a modified car.

Not isolated. I have a friend with a 99 coupe that had the belt shave off on the highway. After getting towed to the dealer the dealer installed a new belt and off they went. They had 2 belts disintegrate on the car before this last belt which has lasted with no problems. I'm not sure what the deal with their belt was but my replacement belt has been lasting well so far.

Leon

Not isolated. I have a friend with a 99 coupe that had the belt shave off on the highway. After getting towed to the dealer the dealer installed a new belt and off they went. They had 2 belts disintegrate on the car before this last belt which has lasted with no problems. I'm not sure what the deal with their belt was but my replacement belt has been lasting well so far.

Leon
Damn, sounds like a possible problem with the manufacturer. Interesting. Maybe I will bring it back.
Thanks Gorgon for that info.

20,000 miles on mine, and the new belt fixed it.

I got a Goodyear Gatorback belt at Auto-Zone, and put it on in about 30-45 minutes. The car had only 20,000 miles on her then.

You can diagnose which one is squeeking by VERY CAREFULLY PUTTING A WRENCH on the adjuster/tensior bolt while the engine is idling and wiggleing it back and forth to see if the sound changes. I said BE CAREFUL!

With my car it was the outer belt. I was fairly certain it was a bearing, a pully, or a bad tensioner because the squeek sounded so metalic in nature, not a rubber chirp. It's been perfect ever since about 21,500 miles ago! I wish I did it sooner.

Enjoy!
Bluemill

There was a technical advisory put out on this squeek. I can send it to you. I had to show it to my dealer after going through three belts. The advisory is for 97 thru 99 Vettes though, and I noticed you had an 02. Anyway, the advisory states that the squeeking is a result of the idler pulley dust shield distorting due to torqueing of the mounting bolt. The dust shield then comes in contact with the bearing race and the pulley resulting in the squeek many of us have come to know. GM now has a new idler pulley assembly available with a thicker dust shield to prevent distortion. The old shield was .61mm thick, the new one is 1.37mm thick. You must tell the dealer to only torque the idler pulley bolt to 37lb ft. or the condition could occur again. Also, do not use pneumatic or electric tools for the install of the pulley assembly. I had this done at my dealer and it solved my problem. I found the advisory on the net and brought it to my dealer after he played quess work on my car for a year. Why the heck is it that no one, not even dealers, know about stupid little things like this?

Thanks guys.

Ill start her up today to see if its still giving me the same chirp, these problems seem to go away as fast as they come around.

Im not too familiar with the engine although everything seems laid-out well enough, maybe i wont have problems finding the offender. If i cant resolve the issue, i might have to take it in i guess. Nothing is less fun than trying to fix something when youre not sure if it will make your engine implode. :eek

Pac Man, I have the same issue on my 98. I ordered a new tensioner from the dealer, but could you send me the tech advisory please? I will do the R&R but all info I can get will help out. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Save the Wave

I got it from the Corvette Action Center knowledge base. Article #258,Chevrolet service bull. #99-06-01-007. My wife can send it tomorrow. Till then just do exactly what I say in my previous post, or e-mail me Don2@cox.net

Pac Man, I have the same issue on my 98. I ordered a new tensioner from the dealer, but could you send me the tech advisory please? I will do the R&R but all info I can get will help out. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Save the Wave

I got it from the Corvette Action Center knowledge base. Article #258,Chevrolet service bull. #99-06-01-007. My wife can send it tomorrow. Till then just do exactly what I say in my previous post, or e-mail me Don2@cox.net

Here's a link to the bulletin mentioned above by PacMan from the CAC Knowledgebase pages.
Chevy Service Bulletin Number 99-06-01-007

:w Jane Ann

I guess my experience is that some belts just suck. I switched to the Gatorback and have had no issues since. It seems to be wearing just fine and not a hint of a squeak. Picked one up dor 21 bucks at a local shop. Dealer wanted 62 bucks for one made in Mexico.;LOL

Here's a link to the bulletin mentioned above by PacMan from the CAC Knowledgebase pages.
Chevy Service Bulletin Number 99-06-01-007

:w Jane Ann

Thanks Jane Ann! I should have checked there, sorry for being lazy.

:w

And the issue with my serpentine is not the squeak, it walks off the tensioner pulley the idler is apparently what is making the noise

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom