Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stainless Brake Hoses

ZumZum

Corvette
1988 Dark Red Coupe
I was replacing brake pads New Years weekend (do I know how to party or what?) and decided I should probably replace the original brake hoses. I'm planning on using the braided stainless type (as sold by mid-america and others, 'bout $100 set). Does anybody have experience with these? Are they a direct fit as advertised or are there any problems I should be aware of? I like the look and was hoping for a little better pedal feel also.

They do fit right and give you firmer pedal feel. Taking the old ones off isn't bad. The bleeders can be stubborn. Great time to replace the fluid with your favorite flavor since bleeding will be necessary.

Zum,

They're easy to install..... as stated before, just be careful around the bleeders. The best way to head off problems is to spray them down with PB Blaster and let them soak a bit... do this also to where the steel hard line connects to the rubber line fitting on the frame.
To avoid more of a mess, clamp off each rubber line with visegrips remove the rubber hose and install the steel hose to the caliper side first, then the chassis side. Also, crack the hardline connection loose (don't remove it, just make sure it turns ok), then pull the retaining clip, then disconnect the hardline. Install the steel braided hose in reverse fashion...start the hardline connection BEFORE replacing the clip (much easier to start that way!), and if it doesn't turn easily, do NOT force it..make sure you're not crossthreading it. Run it up finger tight, install the clip, then tighten it down. Now would be a good time to flush the brake system as well. I might add to make sure you use a line wrench on the steel fitting connection and not a regular open-end. Good luck and enjoy the MUCH better pedal feel!

I used the ones sold by Vette Brakes and Products. They were an easy swap (you don't even have to take the front wheels off) but I did find the clips that are supposed to tighten and lock the nuts in place really didn't do much - just sit there loosely. So far, nothing's come loose...

They do make an amazing difference in pedal feel.
[RICHR]

Thanks for the quick help on this. Looks like I'm ready to start ordering parts for my next projects (planning exhuast work soon too).

rrubel said:
I used the ones sold by Vette Brakes and Products. They were an easy swap (you don't even have to take the front wheels off) but I did find the clips that are supposed to tighten and lock the nuts in place really didn't do much - just sit there loosely. So far, nothing's come loose...

They do make an amazing difference in pedal feel.
[RICHR]

You DID put the clips in with the flat part pointing up, right? You usually have to tap them back into place, if not, you've installed them incorrectly. :)

AdvancedAutoCC, I tried installing them BOTH ways, just to make sure. The clips are u-shaped (to fit around the hose fitting) with little tabs sticking up on one side. I'm guessing the tabs are supposed to push against something, but there's nothing there - the nuts and the fittings are the same diameter, or near enough as makes no difference.
[RICHR]

Braided Stainless Steel coverted Teflon brake hoses will harden the pedal feel slightly because they have little or no expansion compared to stock hoses.

On 2 of my 3 Vettes, I use braided brake hoses I make myself from Aeroquip parts. I have a set on my 71 which are about 10 years old. I also have a set on my 65 Malibu which are 15 years old.

The only downside of braided hoses is the cost.

rrubel said:
AdvancedAutoCC, I tried installing them BOTH ways, just to make sure. The clips are u-shaped (to fit around the hose fitting) with little tabs sticking up on one side. I'm guessing the tabs are supposed to push against something, but there's nothing there - the nuts and the fittings are the same diameter, or near enough as makes no difference.
[RICHR]

The tabs stick up, but the flats (with the "bumped" section are supposed to fit into slots in the hose ends. They're an interference fit, and typically they go in so far, and then you have to tap them into place. Look again at your connection fittings and see if you can find the clip slots.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom