Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Standard or Auto

peterd

Corvette
2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
OK, here's a question for all- Standard or Auto transmissions ???. To some it can't be a Corvette unless its a standard but in this cell phone, coffee age we live in whats better ???

Any problem years w/ either on C4's ???

What's better really depends on the traffic conditions you'll end up driving in. Could you imagine driving a standard everyday in traffic jams? Both have their places and both have their problems.

It's all about what you prefer..I like to shift.

What's better is what makes you happy. Six speed for me and no problems with my 96. Should add that since I switched to synthetic Castrol tranny fluid things are both quieter and smoother....or so they seem, though the tranny was always pretty quiet.
RG

I am old school... STANDARD. I am also a C3 and older guy too, but the C6 has potential. It all depends on what YOU want! Good luck!

Just because it may, or may not be an auto, it is no lesser of a Corvette in any way shape or form. Get what you prefer, not what somebody else does. It is your car and nobody else's it is all what you prefer, make the best choice out there for you.

My wife once drove my 4 speed 30 years ago, that was the last time I ever owned a stick. Not that she drives the vette, but there are occasions. I find the C4's auto rock solid.

It all depends on use...

IMO: convertibles are nicer in automatics. it's nice to just cruise along and enjoy the top down driving with one less worry.

coupes can go either way... if you are in to racing, probably stick. If you drive it daily, it is personal preference. I drove my '93 daily, put a ton of miles on it too, and it was a 6-speed... Loved every minute of it:) If I bought one to drive daily today, it would be auto

It's amazing the whole show happens around town under 1500 rpms with the A4. Then if you need the speed it revs to near 6k before pounding it up to the next gear. I think the ratios are near perfect, and use the gearing limits for many different situations.

One comes to mind in particular. Leave it in 2 for Tail of the Dragon. Both hands on the wheel with total torque from 25 to 60. Plenty of engine braking. Didn't miss the standard shift.

A guy has just bought a turbo Mini Cooper 6 speed at my company, and took me out for a demonstration, jerking through the first 4. The vette would have been at about 110 to his 90 with much less drama.

Each trans has it's attraction. The lower revs of the auto may extend engine life. Results may vary!

Love my 6 speed, but for a day to day driver I would probably go with an auto, considering the improvements in auto tranny technology.

Funny that most of you buy a stick so the wife cannot drive it.
I did the opposite, I bought an auto because then the wife cannot drive it.:D

I never drove a stick equipped Vette yet. (they are rare overhere.)
but from my experiences with other stick shifted fast cars I drove

I can tell that the automatic drives more relaxing and less tempting to speed.
Stick invites to speed and has a sporty feeling.

Jeroenvgfn said:
I can tell that the automatic drives more relaxing and less tempting to speed.
Stick invites to speed and has a sporty feeling.

...and your point IS????? I suggest you buy a mini so you are not as "tempted" by the DEMON 4-Speed spirits! I like to relax with my wife and a good Merlot; I prefer to "Drive" my sportscar!

twamd80driver said:
...and your point IS????? I suggest you buy a mini so you are not as "tempted" by the DEMON 4-Speed spirits! I like to relax with my wife and a good Merlot; I prefer to "Drive" my sportscar!

I have an Automatic and it goes like Hell.
and drive it like that too. ;)

but as I live in a small country which has speed traps and coppers with laser guns on every street corner :eyerole
I am forced to drive it relaxed.

I owned a 911 stick too (actually my wife owned it) and I was constantly revving the thing and speeding.

I preferr the stick shift too, but the stick is still rare in Holland
8 out of 10 vettes for sale are automatic.

luckely more Europeans are buying the ZR-1 and Z06 so my next vette will be a sticker for sure.

It would be to your advantage to visit a Chevy dealer that has both auto and manuals available for test drives. Larger Chevy dealers will more than likely have C4s with both trannys on the lot.

There is truth to an auto being more comfortable in heavy stop and go rush hour traffic. It’s one of those things to take into consideration.

Now, my greedy opinion:
I love my six-speed because I feel more involved and attached to the car. Nothing like being able to do smooth heel-toe-shifting and zipping through the gears.

The other cool thing is watching the tach needle swing upwards and getting ready to do a quick shift when the time is right. I’m in control of the car, not a pre-programmed shift point. I like the involvement with a manual -- just my preference, you have to ask yourself how you’ll be using the car.

The question of which is better is like trying to decide if two, equally attractive women, one a blonde, the other a brunette has an advantage over the other. Both are nice, comes down to personal preference.

B17Crew
:w

I am a 6 speed guy. My first vette, a 1980 was an auto and I swore i would never buy another vette without a standard trans. but ther are times when the auto could be OK. Again it is a personal preference.

How about own a C4 auto and then buy a C5 stick? Best of both worlds (Two vettes, like some have here....lucky dogs)

B17Crew said:

I love my six-speed because I feel more involved and attached to the car. Nothing like being able to do smooth heel-toe-shifting and zipping through the gears.

The other cool thing is watching the tach needle swing upwards and getting ready to do a quick shift when the time is right. I’m in control of the car, not a pre-programmed shift point. I like the involvement with a manual -- just my preference, you have to ask yourself how you’ll be using the car.

B71Crew

My sentiments exactly...:beer

Mine's a daily driver and I have no regrets w/ choosing the 6spd. We have a BMW w/ an auto and it suits that car wonderfully BUT, for this car, I would have it no other way than manual.

Drive both and see which is best suited for you. :dance

BTW...If you decide to go manual, I would opt for a ZF6spd equipped car (89 & up - I think) as opposed to a 4+3 (84-88). It definitely seems to be the more desired transmission, and for good reason. :Steer

Chiming in again

I had a '63 with a 4 speed and it was absolutely fantastic. Owned numerous Z cars with 5 speeds and would not have them any other way. The auto is a departure, and yes would be much more fun sometimes. However the performance, handling and flawless operation of the trans softens the issue for me. It's really a personal toss-up between the thrill and hassle.

Whatever YOU like.

My $.02? It depends on how GOOD you are! I have driven sticks all my life and proud of it. I am good at it, and can shift as smooth as silk when I want to - or not, depending!

So, what is your level of experience? Since you are asking, I would guess you aren't used to stick. If so, you have to learn to be GOOD - it's a challenge, an art. Master it and you will love it!

OK guys, flames on!

Bob

Buy one of each. :DAs soon as I can afford it I plan on doing that. I have the six speed and love it. I am old school, sports car just isn't a true sports car without a stick, but for stop and go traffic the auto would be nice .

Glenn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom