Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Started Exhaust Install, but then...

Corvette
71 Conv. (Sold) / 98 Pewter Coupe (Sold)
Saturday I ripped off the factory exhaust to install a Bassani X-pipe and Corsa Tiger Sharks. Yeah, the best laid plans....

Well first my jack gave out so I couldn't lift the front end to get good access to the h-pipe. Then, one of the mufflers fell out of the little bracket thingy and slammed into my chest (yeah, due to my stupidity), knocking me on the concrete so my shoulder blades, spine, and rib cage are bruised pretty good. Didn't hurt much at first so I kept going, got the H-pipe cut off and found that the x-pipe is about 1/4 inch from lining up with the factory pipes. Used a few clamps to squeeze the pipe into alignment but it got late.

Woke up Sunday and that's when the bruises showed up along with the stiffness - woohoo!

Got a new much nicer jack and have the front lifted now but I won't be able to finish until Friday night at the earliest, probably Saturday morning. All the while my Vette sits idle in the garage, two-feet off the ground.

Glad ya didn't get hurt!

You sound like 1 heck of a mechanic, if ur wife ain't busy ya might want to get her to help complete the project in time for CruiseFest. ;)

I'm glad you're gonna be okay! Beats having that 3100 pound thingy fall on you. You do have it on jack stands now, right?

Did I read it right that you did all that with the front wheels on the ground? If so, that was quite a trick!

It makes me a little claustiphobic to squeeze under to change the oil. With the front on ramps, it's still tight.

Hey, it wouldn't be a road trip without some last minute thrashing, right?

Ken

Eric

I'm glad you're okay! For heaven's sake - be careful... we don't want you to have to come to CruiseFest in a body cast! We want you all in one piece!

Can I get a HELL YEAH!

:w Jane Ann

I'm glad those days of laying on my back to do that kind of work are long gone, the best $2000 I ever spent was for my lift.;)
I put new tyres on last week the Oil was changed a month ago now all I need is a wash and wax and I am ready to go.:upthumbs

Eric said:
...so I kept going, got the H-pipe cut off and found that the x-pipe is about 1/4 inch from lining up with the factory pipes. Used a few clamps to squeeze the pipe into alignment but it got late.
Sorry about the mishaps! I know, it sucks. I was gonna try to do my header swap myself too. Thought better of it and had my mechanic come over. A good thing, too, because nothing wanted to line up anymore, especially after we put in an H-pipe. The stuff still doesn't line up 100% the way it did prior, but it's as close as we can get it without laying all new pipe. I guess that's to be expected when you try to put new pipe in the system while still hooking up to the old piping. You're lucky if you're was only of by 1/4". Mine was waaaay off (2" or more in some spots).

kenwa said:
I'm glad you're gonna be okay! Beats having that 3100 pound thingy fall on you. You do have it on jack stands now, right?

Did I read it right that you did all that with the front wheels on the ground? If so, that was quite a trick!

It makes me a little claustiphobic to squeeze under to change the oil. With the front on ramps, it's still tight.

Hey, it wouldn't be a road trip without some last minute thrashing, right?

Ken
Yup, the back end was jacked up on stands though, so the only really tight squeeze was getting the H-pipe off - I kept banging my elbows. The front air dam was scrunched a little:D. Guess there are good points for being a skinny guy. The whole thing is on six stands now - two in the rear, four up front for good measure.

- Eric

hey, didn't you offer to help me with my exhaust? ;)

it'll all be worth it, once you get the new stuff on there.:D

Eric said:
Saturday I ripped off the factory exhaust to install a Bassani X-pipe and Corsa Tiger Sharks. Yeah, the best laid plans....

Well first my jack gave out so I couldn't lift the front end to get good access to the h-pipe. Then, one of the mufflers fell out of the little bracket thingy and slammed into my chest (yeah, due to my stupidity), knocking me on the concrete so my shoulder blades, spine, and rib cage are bruised pretty good. Didn't hurt much at first so I kept going, got the H-pipe cut off and found that the x-pipe is about 1/4 inch from lining up with the factory pipes. Used a few clamps to squeeze the pipe into alignment but it got late.

Woke up Sunday and that's when the bruises showed up along with the stiffness - woohoo!

Got a new much nicer jack and have the front lifted now but I won't be able to finish until Friday night at the earliest, probably Saturday morning. All the while my Vette sits idle in the garage, two-feet off the ground.

Have you ever tried this method? :rotfl
View attachment 10157

Well I finally got to drive the car with the new exhaust. I drove to work today (24 miles one-way) and I dig it! Not too loud for the second worst traffic in the nation but a nice growl when I get into it. I don't know if it's the Bassani x-pipe or just the sound difference but the car just seems to run smoother.

This coming weekend the Blackwing goes on!

Oh yeah, and a special note to sigshooter. Hey Tom, they lined up nice dude;).

- Eric

Eric said:
Oh yeah, and a special note to sigshooter. Hey Tom, they lined up nice dude;).

- Eric

that's awesome!!! i'm glad to hear that you got it all installed and you're diggin it. one of these days, i'm going to try to allign mine again so they're perfect. if you have any tricks, let me know.:)

good to know there's another set of tigersharks in the nova area.

sigshooter said:
that's awesome!!! i'm glad to hear that you got it all installed and you're diggin it. one of these days, i'm going to try to allign mine again so they're perfect. if you have any tricks, let me know.:)

good to know there's another set of tigersharks in the nova area.
My trick? Part luck and part twisting:D. - Eric

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom