Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

steel wheel help

mcditalia

Corvette
1966 convertible, 327 L79
I am trying to locate a steel wheel to mount my spare tire. Are most repro ones offered by Ecklers, Midyear...etc, going to be correct with date codes or should I try and find a NOS wheel on ebay or swap meets?

Also, for my 66 car that was built on Nov 10, 65, what is an acceptable date range (and corresponding codes) if I go NOS? What's the difference between K and JK stamped wheels? I take it that 66 were 5.5 and not 5.

A lot of questions but would like to get it right,

Thanks,

Corvette wheels weren't dated (on the outside of the rim flange adjacent to the valve stem hole where it could be seen) until 1967; prior to that, the date codes were stamped in the rim section, under the tire. Some had a partial code that identified only the year stamped in the center spider depressed area between the lug hole pads; the last of the three characters indicates the year. "K" and "JK" are the SAE codes for the design of the cross-section of the rim - "JK" wheels didn't start until 1967. 1966 steel wheels were 15x5-1/2 "K".
:beer

JohnZ said:
Corvette wheels weren't dated (on the outside of the rim flange adjacent to the valve stem hole where it could be seen) until 1967; prior to that, the date codes were stamped in the rim section, under the tire. Some had a partial code that identified only the year stamped in the center spider depressed area between the lug hole pads; the last of the three characters indicates the year. "K" and "JK" are the SAE codes for the design of the cross-section of the rim - "JK" wheels didn't start until 1967. 1966 steel wheels were 15x5-1/2 "K".
UNBELIEVEABLE JOHN!, You never cease to amaze me with tour vintage Vette knowledge

JohnZ said:
I am also on the search for original wheels so I can hopefully go thru flight judging in may. I have to remove my reproduction KO .Is there another car these came on? So I can go junking for a set of rims.

Found a steel 15 X 5.5 K wheel part#3838080 wheel on ebay. Has a date code of k-1-8-6? Does that translate to Jan 8th, 66?

Thanks,

The 8080 wheel is the GM service replacement - probably the closest you're going to find to the original wheel; the "8" in K-1-8-6 means it was made in 1968 (June).

Thanks for the knowledge John. Since this is for my spare, I'm thinking of placing a bid. Now for the other 4 rims I have that's another story. They aren't correct either.

Only got to pull of 2 hubcaps today, but the 2 so far aren't promising.

Rim A:

found K 17 at the hub center part and around the valve stem reads C 2 8 1 0 , there is also an RT or RF (hard to read) further down.

Rim B:

found K 77 10 at the hub center part and no date codes by the valve stem only the same RF or RT stamp.

The pic is of the center hub section of rim which seems different from the one on ebay.

While we're on this subject. I've got some old vette rallies, like was used on the 67 currently on my 65. I've got a set of new hubs which were correct for my car. My question is.....I'm assumming these hubs won't fit on these rallies, therefore I need to find a set of original wheels for my car. Any suggestions as to where I could buy a set and what would be a good price? BTW, I still have the original spare with tire included for my car....at least I'm lucky from that standpoint...

Hey 65stinger, yeah, when you find out let me know too, I need 5 of them!

The '65 full wheel covers will fit fine on your rally wheels - there's no difference in the outer rim flange configuration between rallys and the stock '65 steel wheels.

Thats great, I never tried them (haven't gotten that far yet) I just assumed. I'll just have to blast them and paint them black, due to the outer edge of the wheel showing.

Thanks again John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom