Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steep driveways - C4 vs. C5

david1

Corvette
Looking for the right C4 or C5 (current car-Miata)
Hi corvette action center community! First post here. I'm looking to get into the world of Corvettes with a C4 or a C5 within the next six months or so.

My question is, how does the C4 compare to the C5 in terms of getting up steep driveways? My driveway isn't terrible but it does have a bit of an angle - my Miata is fine but my wife's 2008 Fit sport scrapes unless you go at an angle.

I've read at least a dozen other threads about C4 vs. C5 Corvettes in general, so I'm really only looking for info on getting up driveways.

Welcome to the CAC "david1".

When you say your Wife's Fit scrapes...

Do you mean the front end, the back end or is the car high centering?

The front bumper scrapes when going from the street into the driveway. The driveway slopes up from the street to the garage.

The C5's front air dam is sacrificial meaning it can be dragged on the ground then after a number of years you replace it.

If the driveway is so steep that the two steel front fascia supports scrape, you can by kits from Corvette parts vendors such as Zip Products which install two rollers on those fascia supports which prevent damage.

Thanks Hib, that is good to know. So it sounds like the C5 is designed to handle more of an angle than it first appears, especially with rollers installed. Is the C4's front air dam also sacrificial?

The C5's front air dam is sacrificial meaning it can be dragged on the ground then after a number of years you replace it.

Yes, my wife still cringes when this happens

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

After a lot of scraps, the front air dam can start to look ragged along the bottom. When they get that way, I use a sanding block on them to smooth them off without removing too much. The air dams are part of the car's cooling system, so they really need to be there.

Like Hib said, when they get really worn or damaged, just replace them.

Yes, my wife still cringes when this happens

My wife is the best spotter; she says OK or NO don't turn.
Due to the blower's duck bill which removes the middle section of the aero; she had to re-learn her technique.
;LOL

The "entry angle of approach" listed in my '84 MVMA Technical Specifications book is 11.4 degrees. I trimmed about 3/4 inch off the bottom of my air dam, which I don't believe causes any cooling problems.

The "departure angle" is 34.8 deg.

MVMA: Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Assoc.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom