Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering gear box

dodgedawg

Corvette
I am having a problem with the 1980 corvettes steering darting and being real quick. Would replacing the gear box be best way to go or just turning the nut on the gear box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the rag joint????
It is between the steering box and the steering column
check that first.

I am having a problem with the 1980 corvettes steering darting and being real quick. Would replacing the gear box be best way to go or just turning the nut on the gear box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might want to check the front end alignment. If your front wheels are too straight and don't have the correct toe-in it will make your steering very sensitive and darty.

1- Check alignment
2- Check/adjust power steering control valve- out of balance will cause a faster feel in one direction over the other.

Loose steering, binding steering

1- Check front end parts, should be part of a good alignment
2- Check the rag joint for looseness,wear, "S" shape
3- Steering box- look at the lash screw in the cover, does it show any threads over the jam nut?

I would balance the control valve, if you see leaks check the hoses and the valve. I would not buy a rebuilt valve, buy a new one if needed. Lay new hoses over the originals to check the radius and lengths, they vary.

Visually check front end .and steering as below.all..for any looseness that should not be there including A arms where shinms are and wheel bearing (wheel play..there should be none)..ok same for rear end..fix anything as needed..check ride height..fix as needed..why..because all these things must all be good BEFORE doing a 4 wheel alignment..but it is likely that the alignment is the issue with wandering...espec iwth todays wider tires. Do not use orig alignment specs from the old factory specs or shop manual, They were not quite correct then, and are less so now. You can research the web for current C3 alignment specs..but I have done it for you..Duntov has specs as do others..
I suggest you use: for front: Castor as much as you can if stock A arms.,.this greatly reduced wandering..a little less on left to compensate for crowned roads if you like..at 2.9, and 3.2 to 3.4 on the right which will be about the most you can get., Front Camber. .3 deg Neg(top of wheel inward) , and front toe. 1/16in toe in each side so total front toe 1/8 in. Rear Camber: same as front 1/16 each side so 1/8 total toe in, Rear Camber: .5 deg Neg. After a test drive some minor adjustments to the setting may be needed as individual cars vary very slightly, so that the car does not slowly steer itself left or right. As always set alignment with correct tire pressure ( I use the warm tire pressure as that is what it will be when driving) and with normal weight in the car..(kitty litter-dog food-sand bags whatever,..) 3/4 full gas, etc,.Best to order front and rear shims ahead and have em on hand.
If you are to do anything with bushings..replacing with poly..or springs..new tires, anything...do so first before alignment.
It's a process..the result will be a great handling car.,
Nick

1- Check alignment
2- Check/adjust power steering control valve- out of balance will cause a faster feel in one direction over the other.

Loose steering, binding steering

1- Check front end parts, should be part of a good alignment
2- Check the rag joint for looseness,wear, "S" shape
3- Steering box- look at the lash screw in the cover, does it show any threads over the jam nut?

I would balance the control valve, if you see leaks check the hoses and the valve. I would not buy a rebuilt valve, buy a new one if needed. Lay new hoses over the originals to check the radius and lengths, they vary.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom