Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Wheel Shakes

atmmac

Corvette
1997 Black Corvette
So the steering wheel has been shaking for a while now. I guess the construction last summer did a number on my alignment. I got an alignment done and a balance on the front two wheels. My back tires are smoked so i didnt bother with those. The steering wheel still shakes on the highway around 75 mph and up. Is this because my rear tires are out of balance? I was under the impression that when the rear tires were out of balance it causes the seat to shak not the car. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Gotta check the front rotors, as well as any brake parts, too. It could also be a bent front suspension piece. Hit anything, lately? You are right about rear tires not affecting the vibration in the front-end. Get all of the front pieces checked out.

Vibration or "shake" through the steering is almost always a sign of a problem up front.

It can be wheel balance, worn/damaged suspension, worn/damaged steering parts, worn/damaged tire(s), bent wheel(s), worn shock absorbers or problems with the front suspension cradle.

Start with the easy stuff and work to the more difficult problems to diagnose.

Vibration or "shake" through the steering is almost always a sign of a problem up front.

It can be wheel balance, worn/damaged suspension, worn/damaged steering parts, worn/damaged tire(s), bent wheel(s), worn shock absorbers or problems with the front suspension cradle.

Start with the easy stuff and work to the more difficult problems to diagnose.

I agree. The wide tires on the corvettes just amplify any small problems. Also you should always have a four wheel alignment if you want it to be right.

I had a vibration from 70mph and up. Took quite a while to get it fixed.
Long story short...I finally called Hunter and asked them who their go-to guy was when others could not fix a vibration.
Took my car to thier guy and "bam" car runs smooth as silk. Took a new front tire, balancing, and an alignment.
Tire guy told me that many times, when they put on new tires, they go through more than 1 tire to get them to balance up right.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom