Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stereo speaker evaluation and access

Bill Coke

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver Coupe and 1978 Lt Blue Coupe
I've recently experienced distortion in my system. I thought it was just the station I was listening to at first but it happens all the time. The distortion seems to be coming out of both front and rear speakers. I don't know if it is my system or just speakers. I thought it funny that it would be coming through all speakers the same. I thought of accessing my speakers and unplugging them so I could put in one test speaker to see what the problem is and then alternate that speaker through the other speakers in the car. How do I access the speakers? Front? Rear? I have a 99 coupe. Can I just take the speaker grill off the front? Appreciate any and all advice I can get on this subject. Need to get it fixed...I like music!! LOL
Thanks in advance,
Bill;help

I've recently experienced distortion in my system. I thought it was just the station I was listening to at first but it happens all the time. The distortion seems to be coming out of both front and rear speakers. I don't know if it is my system or just speakers. I thought it funny that it would be coming through all speakers the same. I thought of accessing my speakers and unplugging them so I could put in one test speaker to see what the problem is and then alternate that speaker through the other speakers in the car. How do I access the speakers? Front? Rear? I have a 99 coupe. Can I just take the speaker grill off the front? Appreciate any and all advice I can get on this subject. Need to get it fixed...I like music!! LOL
Thanks in advance,
Bill;help
Bill, is the distortion only in the radio or is it also in the CD? (or cassette) I don't know how to answer your question but if it's in the radio and not the CD player, in my opinion the promblem lies in the radio.

Bill, is the distortion only in the radio or is it also in the CD? (or cassette) I don't know how to answer your question but if it's in the radio and not the CD player, in my opinion the promblem lies in the radio.

Vetteforfun, first like your choice in cars. Mine is a 99 Magnetic Red coupe also with 2001 wheels (I haven't upgraded my avatar it still shows the 98).
I get the distortion when I play the cassette as well. I have switched channels and types of music only to hear it the same way. I noticed the rear speakers have the distortion coming out of them as well. I thought if I knew how to access the speakers I would unplug them and ttest each hookup with a different speaker that I know is good for sure. My thoughts are this would tell me if it was speakers or radio. My radio is same as everyone's but it has a cassette player instead of cd. I thought testingthe speakers may be the simples way to run a check without removing the radio and console, etc.
Bill

Vetteforfun, first like your choice in cars. Mine is a 99 Magnetic Red coupe also with 2001 wheels (I haven't upgraded my avatar it still shows the 98).
I get the distortion when I play the cassette as well. I have switched channels and types of music only to hear it the same way. I noticed the rear speakers have the distortion coming out of them as well. I thought if I knew how to access the speakers I would unplug them and ttest each hookup with a different speaker that I know is good for sure. My thoughts are this would tell me if it was speakers or radio. My radio is same as everyone's but it has a cassette player instead of cd. I thought testingthe speakers may be the simples way to run a check without removing the radio and console, etc.
Bill
Thanks Bill. I really like the Mag Red and I think the Coupe has the best "Vette appeal". It sounds like we have twin cars. Mine came with the cassette and no CD. I picked up a 12 CD changer that came out of a 2004 off of ebay and had a local stereo shop install it for me. As far as your speakers go, it's weird to me that all the speakers are giving you the distortion. I don't think they would all go out at the same time. I'm still leaning towards the radio unit being the problem but I'm no expert. ;shrug You might want to ask the same question in the technical C5 forum if you don't get a response here. Good luck!

Just my $0.02 worth...I doubt that all 4 speakers would decide to die at the same time. I would suspect the head unit itself, or on a long shot, the antenna connection or speaker harness somehow worked itself loose.

Just my $0.02 worth...I doubt that all 4 speakers would decide to die at the same time. ...

Yeah... It's POSSIBLE that they all died at once, but it's more likely that there's in interstellar alien living in your dash. :)

Of course, infinitly more likely that THAT is a problem with the head unit. You might get really lucky and just have a harnes that's pulled loose... but I know _I_ am never that lucky.

+

It must be a 99" problem, my left front speaker dose it to. I notice if I turn the volume way up and back down quick it stops for a while. let me know what you do to fix it.

If you go to www.carstereohelp.com/corvette.htm they will give you access to their very helpful, photo-illustrated door panel removal directions, which is how you get to the front speakers. However, with all four sounding distorted I'm guessing it is your amplifier. You can't switch out speakers to test them anyway because they are combined with powered bose amplifiers. The Factory Car Stereo Repair website is very helpful as are the people.

Only the door speakers are amped. The rear speakers are "normal" and can be accessed by pulling off the grill. Swap and test them.

PS - the large, bass door speakers are notorious for self-destructing (and also expensive to replace).

Strange noise from inside the door

Unfortunately, no. You have to remove the entire door panel, as shown here (steps 1-7).

Best instructions for door removal I have ever seen! Now, help me solve a mystery. When I make a "spirited " turn I hear noise from inside the driver's door which sounds like (not kidding here) a platic bag of plastic flatware shifting. If I happen to be lowering the window at the time, sometimes it will momentarily bind the downward travel (like the window is touching whatever it is). I don't want to remove the door panel if I can avoid it. So, what's loose in there?
Secondarily, the left front speaker is fuzzy till it has been powerd up for a while. Are the two related?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom