Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

stinger hood pics?

R

randylindberg

I am considering purchasing a new hood for my '75 L-48 with the hopes of gradually upgrading to a more hearty induction system. Anyway, the Eckler's catalog shows a picture of a Stinger Hood (Part# 29661, 1968-76 Stinger Hood)
...has anyone got this on their car? If so, got any pictures? Lastly, is there any clearance differences between this hood and a stock one?

Thanks!:grinsanta

Is hood removal/changing a hard thing to do? What are hoods attached to and by what means? Just basic bolting? Or more? And, wouldnt' you have to maintain some lubrication on the hoods so there's not too much friction and wearing of parts?

Just curiouse, thanks! :D

Hi Stallion! Hoods use a variety of articulated hinges, which are attached between a reinforced rib on the bottom side of the hood and to a suitable location in the engine bay. Some hoods maintain their upright position by themselves, and some require some sort of prop rod to keep the hood in the up position. Yes, the hinge should be lubricated occassionally! Hope the photos in this link help (even though they are photos of a Firebird hinge): http://www.col-rand.com/id44.htm. The long arm of the hinge attaches to the hood. The spring in the photo normally indicates that a prop rod won't be required to keep the hood raised. Normal hand tools are usually sufficient to remove and replace the hood. Care needs to be taken in adjusting the hood on reinstallation so that proper alignment of the hood is maintained. When you get to work on one, you will see what I mean :).

- Gene

Hmm...looks like an intricate thing. But, like you said, I'm sure I'll figure it out when the time comes to do it! Thanks, Gene! :D

Pat, that pic looks great! I love the look of the hood! Are you using a stock induction system (I'm using stock L48...sad, I know)? I was curious as to what kind of clearance you have compared to a stock hood?

its not mine that was taken from a member of the corvetteforum,ill get his name so you can ask him.

after looking through that site supplied by JonM , it states that all stinger hoods are 1 3/4" over stock height. that page also has some nice looking cowl induction hoods.

I like the stinger hood but I'm more partial to the Turbo hood.
I'll have one one day
AA401_F2.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom