Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strange Clicking Noise

sriat

Corvette
1984 Bright Red Coupe
I have a 1984 Crossfire that has a clicking noise that changes speed with engine speed. It can only be heard below 10 MPH (May not be able to hear due to interrior noise after that)

I cannot hear the noise outside at all, with or without hood open. Temperature (Air or engine) makes no difference. I tried to hear lifter noise but does not seem to be there. May be distributer but cant isolate to that.

So the questions are.
1. is this normal sound
2. Is a part broke
3. Any idea what this is?

I appreciate the help!

A/C clutch pulley, alternator vane rubbing....any pulley/bearing ????
Is it definitely engine related??? Hmmm

Yea I should have mentioned that I know the AC Compressor is shot. But still spins fine. The noise location seems to be from the left of instrument display when sitting in drivers seat around around headlight switch. (but there is nothing there to make noise that I know of.

Couple more stabs at it:
Did anyone retrofit ABS onto your 84? Bads ABS sometimes makes a clicking/tumbling noise.
Bad exhaust manifold gasket?
'84 used electric fans and not a water pump mounted fan, didn't they? If so, fan/shroud clearance shouldn't be a problem.

My '85 will make a clicking noise when the battery is very low, but that is from a relay behind the DIC.

No ABS
Did my best to make sure the exhaust maniford gasket was good. Seems fine
It is a Z51 with 2 electric fans. They seem fine.
Interesting deal on the battery. Recently the Alternator regulator was fried and was running 15-18 Volts cooking the battery. So the battery is extremely weak. I was planning to replace this this weekend. Going to try tonight.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom