Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strip & Refinish Targa Top

rlvincent

I have a 93' glass Targa top that has been painted at least twice. How should the glass be prepared prior to repainting? What type of Black Paint can used? Can car color be used?

I have painted a lot of cars in my time but never a glass roof.
I think the tops might be made of an acrylic plastic.I have one on my 90.

If you are going to paint over the old paint lightly sand with 600 W/D.

Then apply "BullDog", it is a adhision promoter that makes paint stick to about everything.

Then spray. As far as the type of paint goes, Most cars use a Base coat / Clearcoat.

I would use an automotive single stage urethane with a hardener for your top.

As I said, I have never done this but, this is how I would do it.

As far as stripping the old paint, that is a litttle touchy.

They make a stripper that is in a spray can that is supposed to be easy on acrylics.

You can get it at a Sherwin/Williams Auto paint store or at a auto parts store that carries paint supplies.

Be carefull and don't leave the stripper on very long.

Apply, let it set untill it starts to lift, use a plastic spreader to scape off old paint then apply again.

Most of the strippers will neutralize with water, so clean it good with soap and water after you are done.

good luck

I would not strip the top as even the painted ones are made of LEXAN. They are all made out of LEXAN. Painted, clear blue, and clear brown. I just got a new one and I learned a lot from the dealer and others. If you try to strip LEXAN it'll just melt. I would mask off the metal frame with metal tape and sand it with a palm sander, lightly! I would try to remove just enough of the old cracked paint to make it smooth then apply the Bulldog as in a post above and then paint.

Good luck.

Paul

usually the ones painted body color are of the same material as the car. I have both for my 90, the white top is fiberglass.

I was pretty sure the acyrlic top was Lexan but didn't want to mislead anyone.

My next ? is, are you talking about painting the Lexan or are you refering to your top being glass as in Fiberglass.If it is the fiberglass top follow my first post. No need to strip it.

If you paint the Lexan you wont be able to see through it.

In my old plastic days, you could get Lexan in different colors, usually clear ,smoked and Bronze, But that was many years ago.

Lexan has been around since the early 70's.

I am sorry, what I meant was if it was LEXAN it would dissolve if stripper were applied to it. Fiberglass I would paint the normal way I would the body. I had to hasten to add that there have been tops that were LEXAN but painted the color of the car. When you said "glass" I thought you meant the LEXAN, meaning you could see out of it. Now I think you meant glass as in fiberglass.

Sorry for the confusion.

Paul

C4 Targa Top

The top is Lexan. I peeled the top thick black layer off yesterday with a plastic spatula. There is at least one more layer of primer & paint on the top. I live in Florida, so the see-through top was coated to help with the sun and heat? I don't know whether to refurbish the top to original, and apply a sun screen on the inside, or paint the top black, or body color? Any ideas?

I am not sure you can go back to original after the top has been painted.

At this point it's hard to say.

If the layer you are at now is smooth, you might try sanding the surface with 600 W/D, then recoat.

got any pictures?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom