Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

stripped threads

blockhead

I have a 93 vert and am in the process of installing a new exhaust system. In the process I needed to remove the cross brace on the bottom. In doing so I noticed that it must have been removed before. Three of the bolts were missing and upon closer inspection I noticed these holes were stripped. Also one of the thread inserts in the frame twisted off the frame when I tried to remove it. I ended up cutting the bolt off with a hacksaw. Luckily there is only one damaged bolt on each of the four ends but would still like to repair the threads. Has anybody heard off a fix for my problem?

bradfordsvettes

Corvette
jewel blue 61.cranberry 69 t-top.black rose 92
you could use tapersets or helicoils I think the first ones are better:upthumbs you only need a min amount of tools and mechanical ability. the repairs are as good if not better than original :D Steve

SSTibet

Corvette
1995 6 Speed Manual Coupe
Helicoils are better than the original design. We install helicoils in combat vehicle suspension systems which take lots & lots of shock :)

Cheers,

Selim

blockhead

dont think there ia enough meat there to hold heli-coil-there is an insert in the frame which is only about 1/4 inch thick-was thinking of using a self tapper but havent found one that big

bradfordsvettes

Corvette
check out taper sert may be what you need I will seeif i can get some part # if you are interested Steve

bradfordsvettes

Corvette
am a little confused myself the correct name is time serts they are preformed and thread into a tapered hole made with the tools supplied with the kit the other option and maybe better are thread serts these fit into a predrilled hole then there is a tool that collapses the unit and it makes contact 360 degrees on both side of the repair . The first ones mentioned are used to repair stripped plug holes but many other sizes are available hope this helps you can find them both with a goggle search Steve

M

Midnight 85

Also try "nutserts" in your search. that is what I've known them as.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom