Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: strong exhaust fumes 81

Rick J

Corvette
new member 9-13 and to these post. Great to have our own 81site.When I start up I get a very strong exhaust fume,(kill the neighbors) but it runs great . cat was remove. is this a carb issues?:mad

PS, the dream final came true at 53!

Welcome to CAC!!!!
Enjoy...

Now....I would check where the exhaust pipes and the flanges where the bolt up to the manifolds.
I would also check where ever else you have put the pipes together....:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

:w Rick and Welcome to our Community :cool!:

If you have a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust (tail pipe) at start up that if fouling the air :D then your thought of a Carb problem may indeed be what is happening. Years ago my Choke would stick or the carb would act like it was flooded and smoke tho high heaven when I started the old girl up...

Found a mechanic that REALLY KNEW how to work on the old QuadraJets and problem solved ;) Another suggestion :w

Enjoy the :Steer

Bud

thanks Bud, no smoke but did look at the choke an saw a wire that came off the carb (passenger side of carb) reattached and seams to run smoother and less fume. it's always something with these cars and that's ok with me. love the challenges!

Does your "Choke" light on the dash go out upon starting the car? If it stays on, you have a faulty relay in the console.

If you have an o2 sensor it may be defective.
Jim

If the choke wire was not connected the choke was not heating up and opening. That would cause extra fuel to be drawn in making for a very rich condition, smoke and smell.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom