Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strut Rod Bracket Position

68Roadster

Corvette
'68 White Vert '05 Silverado SS
I'm putting my rear end back together.....out of all the items I marked prior to removal, the one I didn't mark was the strut rod bracket. Probably just laid it down in the position it was removed from the car. That was sandblasting, etching and painting ago so now I have no idea which way it installs. The pictures in the AIM and the Chassis Manual are not precise so I need some help from fellow C3'ers.
The picture attached shows the bracket at one end where the camber bolt goes thru. One side of the bracket goes straight across, the other side has a "joggle" in it. Can someone please physically verify their car and tell me if the "joggle" faces fore or aft??

I would appreciate it very much. I finally have some peace and time to work on the car and I'm stonewalled right now.

Thanks.

Cee

Actually, I ran into this same thing with my '81. Seems that they did it differently from the early C3's to the late ones. I know that mine was installed with the markings on the camber washer facing the rear bumper. Also, the bolt went through the rear and towards the front, with the nut going on the front side. This all seemed pretty silly to me, because in order to remove those camber bolts, you need to drop the spring. I remember when I was asking around about this, I think the older C3's had it the exact opposite way. I don't know that it really makes much of a difference either way, as when they align it, they don's really need to see those marks anyhow.

Hope that helps some. I'm not sure what you mean by "joggle". I know that there is a flat spot on the bolt that goes through, so that it keeps both sides aligned. Is that what you mean?

Good luck, maybe I can try and snap a pic tomorrow for ya.

- Jeremy

I just checked mine and the straight side faced the rear of the car and the bent to the front. I installed a VBP suspension with adjustable strut rods, but don't think that should have affected the strut rod bracket orientation. The "joggle", as you call it, will affect the inner strut rod end position by about 1/2 inch or more. I would think the natural lay of the rod end would dictate which way the bracket gets positioned. Anyway, as I said, mine is positioned with the straight edge facing the tailights.

I believe if you check the holes in the bracket; it will only install in one direction. One hole is offset about 1/8"..........

A tip for better geometry ; put a 1" spacer between the bracket and rear end. This will require longer bracket bolts and possible lowering of the exhaust pipes.

Resulting in less wheel arc through supsension movement.

I think I'd better check my Strut Link Bracket; I'm using adjustable struts rather than fixed strut links because I don't trust the cam bolt. Last time I looked at it, I thought it looked funny and checked my AIM book and couldn't tell which way it went under the differential. SG4206 states that the holes are offset, but I didn't see any hole offset there. I'm about to drop the body onto the frame, and I sure hate to find out I did it backwards!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom