Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stump da Chumps

Kid_Again

Corvette
65 SB Roadster, 66 BB Coupe
Let's begin at the beginning and see what you guys come up with. I solved the problem, eventually. :hb

Here's the chronology:

'65 sb, worked but #match block

about a year ago, it broke the end of the oil dipstick when i started it up - WTF? (so i knew that Bubba did SOMETHING during the rebuild)

early fall, I install a new dash harness, took my time, made sure there was no stress on any wires or anything poking through the firewall - no problems when I powered it up electrically the first time

had a nasty problem with the "irritating drop of oil" on the bottom of the oil drain plug (original 5+1 qt shp oil pan) and temporarily fixed it...got ****ed one night about that damn dipstick so I took the damn pan off and replaced it with a brand new 4+1 pan (I should add that I also took off that cheap **** spin-on oil filter adapter and replaced it with the canister, new NAPA filter and gasket, looks like no more leaks there:bang

when I took the oil pan off, I found that the rebuilder had installed a Moroso windage tray and the alignment between the dipstick block hole and the hole in the windage tray was SO close that one day, I "just missed" the windage tray hole with the dipstick, it curled upward and said HELLOOOO to a rod end ;shrug ....so, I radiused the windage tray WAY large, removed the old pickup, tacked in the new, buttoned it up and we're good to go.....almost

fired it up for the first time since the dash harness/new pan, checked underneath for leaks, nothing, 65* out, top down and it drove like a champ (little rich but just fine), oil pressure is fine, a song in my heart, yada yada yada....pull back in the garage, up on the lift, come back a half an hour later, a puddle of DIRTY oil right under the front of the tranny (thank god for drip pans)

now I'm confused because this is the FIRST fire up since the new pan (fresh oil of course) and I wonder HOW IN THE HELL did I tip the car so far forward that the FRONT of the Muncie is leaking (there's no front seal on a Muncie for newbies)...the oil was coming down the front of the tranny case and had spread to the bottom of the bell housing where there was a BIG FAT DROP....the new oil pan DOES NOT LEAK, the rear pan seal is completely dry, the front of the flywheel is bone dry, the pressure plate appears bone dry, clutch action in motion is perfect just like before, and now, there is no longer a leak at the oil pan drain plug

so, I pop the Muncie drain plug, believing that somehow, transmission oil was spontaneously created in the tranny, causing an overflow situation but the oil was dead level with the lower threads..and this is the ONLY dirty oil in the vicinity

So, the problem is new crankcase oil, no tranny oil overfill situation but I have dirty oil coming down the front of the tranny, bottom of the bellhousing

one hint...there is NO oil leak when it just sits and idles...NONE, NADA, ZIPPO

NOTHING is cracked. Whudya' think?

I have pictures of the solution.

Well I'm stumped for one :confused
unless your Wife is foolin with ya ;LOL

OK, I'll bite... Oil pressure line to dash gauge leaking at the block fitting? :)

my guess.......... Mark just changed the oil in his car, than came over to your house, snuck in after you parked the car in the garage, and poured some of his old dirty oil on the tranny/bellhousing area so it would drip down and make you go crazy trying to figure out where it came from. :D

How about a leaky valve cover at the firewall end?

-Mac :w

Can you tell if it's the stinky, thick 80-90 wt. gear oil, or motor oil?

I had a leak in my 63 for years. Thought it was a rear main bearing seal. Turned out to be the front bearing retainer on the Muncie.

Dirty motor oil? I'd check the oil pressure lines, the valve cover gaskets, the PCV plug/pipe at the back of the engine, AND the distributor gasket and hold-down. Chuck

bossvette said:
Well I'm stumped for one :confused
unless your Wife is foolin with ya ;LOL

YA KNOW!!!! Shoulda' thought of that myself. She KNOWS that I won't drive it very far if I think I have a problem, Easier for her to get me on the Honeydo list. :hb

studiog said:
OK, I'll bite... Oil pressure line to dash gauge leaking at the block fitting? :)

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the block around the fitting. The clean oil was leaking down the bell housing and block, picking up road grime along the way, turning it's appearance into used oil :hb I HAD tightened the oil line fitting before putting the car back on the road and for whatever reason, it was not tight enough.

I asssume that the oil pressure at idle was not enough to result in decent leakage. I had to drive it and the combination of high pressure and hot oil resulted in enough puddling in the webbing to cause it to form a puddle on the floor after I shut it down. After tightening the oil line fitting, no more oil.

I give you the salute normally just reserved for JohnZ -> ;worship

BarryK said:
my guess.......... Mark just changed the oil in his car, than came over to your house, snuck in after you parked the car in the garage, and poured some of his old dirty oil on the tranny/bellhousing area so it would drip down and make you go crazy trying to figure out where it came from. :D

EXCELLENT GUESS but Mark NEVER throws anything away, he just sells it on EBay. #Match oil.....Hmmmmmmmmm

ChuckG said:
Can you tell if it's the stinky, thick 80-90 wt. gear oil, or motor oil?

I had a leak in my 63 for years. Thought it was a rear main bearing seal. Turned out to be the front bearing retainer on the Muncie.

Dirty motor oil? I'd check the oil pressure lines, the valve cover gaskets, the PCV plug/pipe at the back of the engine, AND the distributor gasket and hold-down. Chuck

You guys amaze me. Your first guess is the oil line. Do you know HOW LONG it took me to figure this out???????????

Thanks guys!!:w

Yea those Honeydos, last week she said "Honey before you do anything else please take the two flat tires off the purple car and take them to be fixed"
well the kid lost the keys to the lug nuts so I had to buy a set of special sockets from Eastwood. She conviently had to work yesterday so I had to pick them up (and pay for them). One couldn't be fixed so I had to go to the junkyard and get a replacement so I could get the car out of my barn. So a simple 1/2 hour job takes a whole week.;LOL

and the kicker is the car is now stuck in the mud outside my barn where it will stay until the ground dries;)

Mac said:
How about a leaky valve cover at the firewall end?

-Mac :w

..'ya know, that's the OTHER problem I have, i slight oil leak at the rear bolt on the valve cover..it's just enough to wet the flange of the valve cover...i believe i have a high pressure oil pump because i peg the oil pressure gauge on startup...i think there's a LOT of oil up top when I run it...it there's noother surprises, I'm just going to RTV the thing and lie down till it passes

bossvette said:
Yea those Honeydos, last week she said "Honey before you do anything else please take the two flat tires off the purple car and take them to be fixed"
well the kid lost the keys to the lug nuts so I had to buy a set of special sockets from Eastwood. She conviently had to work yesterday so I had to pick them up (and pay for them). One couldn't be fixed so I had to go to the junkyard and get a replacement so I could get the car out of my barn. So a simple 1/2 hour job takes a whole week.;LOL

and the kicker is the car is now stuck in the mud outside my barn where it will stay until the ground dries;)

:rotfl

don't even mention flat tires around here......within the span of 6 months i had one on the G35, TWO on her ES and my son JUST had one on his IS....this morning, I went to WalMart and bought a plug kit JUST so I can drive to the gas station to get the flats fixed!!

My son wasn't even on our property when he got his. Her LAST one was a nail through the tread (which I fixed) and TWO nails through the sidewall - KACHING$$$$$ :hb

"Oh Honey, does my tire look like it needs air?" :eek

Kid_Again said:
:rotfl
"Oh Honey, does my tire look like it needs air?" :eek

;LOL;LOL yea and when they fill it themselves they always leave the compresser on, and then wonder why the electric bill is so high ;LOL;LOL

Kid_Again said:
WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the block around the fitting. The clean oil was leaking down the bell housing and block, picking up road grime along the way, turning it's appearance into used oil :hb I HAD tightened the oil line fitting before putting the car back on the road and for whatever reason, it was not tight enough.

I asssume that the oil pressure at idle was not enough to result in decent leakage. I had to drive it and the combination of high pressure and hot oil resulted in enough puddling in the webbing to cause it to form a puddle on the floor after I shut it down. After tightening the oil line fitting, no more oil.

I give you the salute normally just reserved for JohnZ -> ;worship

WOW! How exciting. I never win anything, and not even in the same universe as "The Grand Pooh Pah" John Z. :)

You Know ...This whole story is made up. You don't really belive that that line came lose it's self do yah....

Now here's the deal.... Did you notice that the Kid...Posted a Pic.. of the Problem Area...???? Now.... when's the last time he posted a pic...?????

Well ..it's kinda hard when you..Ain't Got A Freaken Camera...!!

So the Kid get's a new camera decides to post a pic... Well heh..!! You need a story to go with the Pic.... Get It..!!!:L ;LOL :rotfl

Viet Nam Vett said:
You Know ...This whole story is made up. You don't really belive that that line came lose it's self do yah....

Now here's the deal.... Did you notice that the Kid...Posted a Pic.. of the Problem Area...???? Now.... when's the last time he posted a pic...?????

Well ..it's kinda hard when you..Ain't Got A Freaken Camera...!!

So the Kid get's a new camera decides to post a pic... Well heh..!! You need a story to go with the Pic.... Get It..!!!:L ;LOL :rotfl

Does this mean I didn't really win? :(

Everybody relax and take another draw on the bong.

Yet again, I have been "outted" by VNV. Well, sort of. But it was getting a LITTLE tedious when I would go over to VNV's place and hear "Dude, you NEED a camera".

OK, OK. I now have a camera in the guarded compound in Central New Jersey we call home (you know, the Witness Protection Program ain't ALL that bad) and one 'downa shore.

I have also placed one strategically close to VNV's place in preparation of the next time I break down and coast into his driveway.

Hmmmmmmm...do you THINK Mark saw the post where I accused him of selling used #match engine oil on EBay? :grouphug:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom