Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stupid Door!

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
I have done this 3 times already its getting OLD...

I had a break in last year and the bad guy busted my door cylinder. ok fine I got it replaced heres the deal.

Now when I unlock it the alarm doesnt shut off so I open the door It go's off.ok fine.

So I reverse the wires this does it.

So I lived with it for awhile but then the great job they did fell apart so they replaced it again...STILL the Alarm wont shut off as soon as I open the damn door Honk honk honk honk till I run to the Drivers side and turn the key in that door.

whats going on.......Im willing to do this on my own (seems thats the only way things get done properly) and Im willing to remove the dash andof course the door panel to fix it.

Its really irritating

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Oh ya forgot

:mad :mad :mad

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
You need to check the following

There is a green & black wire from the door switch lock to the alarm wiring.

In the 12 O clock position it should be open

and turning either direction it should close & re open when centering the key.

The problem is the plastic bit for the center ( swinger) for the switch wears out & the 1/2 moon gets sloppy and the switch hangs.

The worse news.. the switch is discontuined!

So it's those wrecking yard blues....

Now I'm not sure if the switch was used on other cars ( Camaro's, firebirds, caddy's or other GM issues)... and the c-3 style vs c-4 have different connectors on the end, but an easy fix with a soldering iron.

Mike

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Mike I know the Green and Black wires you refer to (these are the ones I mess with from time to time) and the Cylinder seems to work properly. But this switch you speak of I dont know where that is?! It makes perfect sense that, thats the thing wrong with my car! Tell me more Lol

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
Was postin yesterday

But the breaker blew ( the Wife & Daughter were using the blow dryers at the same time!)

SO... the switch is located on the back of the door key lock cylinder it's sandwiched inbetween the back of the cylinder ( extended lock shaft) and the linkage.

It is a plastic, round, non descript thingy.

The lock shaft has a 1/2 moon which ties into the center bit of the switch.

As the assy gets older the plastic bit in the switch gets larger... and cannot track ( accurately) the motion of the key.

When you turn ( in either direction ) the switch closes, but when you return to the 12'O clock position the switch doesn't OPEN!

Switching the polarity doesn't mean a thing.

To get the switch off...you must be double jointed, there is a small C clip on the back of the lock mech shaft, then the linkage comes off, then the switch.

The switch will probably seperate when you remove it.

Get a different one from the wrecking yard... since it's no longer made Some C-3's use the same setup ( with a different connector on the end)

I'm not sure which other GM cars use the same setup.

Hope this helps

Mike

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Vig Im a fairly big guy and not a contorsionist not to mention I hate locks. Should I just take it in to GM? Like is this a 1 to 2 hours job? cause if it is I'll let them do it as much as I like working on my car theres somethings I just hate ya know.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom