Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Super amps !!

C3alex

Corvette
1978 L-82 Silver anniversary
Cruising down the road today and thought I heard a strange whine coming from the engine bay, glanced at the gauges and the amp needle was pegged into the red +. I turned on the radio and headlights and the needle came down some but still reading high. Got it home and into the garage, turned off the lights and radio and the needle spiked again.

The alt. is two years old (O'reilly auto) I have no testing equip. "yet".

Am I gonna have to get another Alt ?:ugh

sounds like it if you have a volt meter put it on the battery while running if over 14.8 volts there is a problem Steve

So, if your amp guage has a high reading while the vehicle is running then there is a problem? Possibly the alternator? I have a high reading (needle all the way to the right) and my Vette seems to run fine. Should I be worried?

Good question....

Should vette79 and I be worried ?

I admit that I don't know much about auto electrical systems but this seems to be a danger when the needle sits in the red zone and will move downward only a little when I turn on lights and radio.

Examine the connector on the side of the alternator, the red wire is voltage sensing, if it is intermittent the alternator will go into high output.

All connections are tight Sixfooter. I'm going to put a voltmeter on the battery as Steve suggests and see what that brings up.

This is an O'reilly Auto Parts alternator with two years on it, about one thousand miles. I've heard these alternators aren't very good.

Anybody know of a very good replacement, possibly GM .....Delco.

Alex

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom