Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Super Ram on LT4?

1996 LT4 Topic
G

GS583

Has anyone installed an Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram on an LT4? I know that there is not a base unit available directly, but the small difference between LT1 and LT4 intakes could likely be fixed by an adept port grinder. Just wondering if the give up on the top end might be a reasonable sacrifice if the mid range and bottom picked up a whole bunch of torque. This is only asking in relation to a street application, NOT a drag racer where top end horsepower with low gears is the goal.

That is an interesting concept. From what I've read:

automatics usually go Super Ram while 6 speeds usually go Mini Ram, which is pretty much the LT1/4 style intake.

I could see it making sense since the 6 speeds spend more time in the upper RPM range than the automatics.

Personally, I would stick with the LT4 style setup, it was perfectly engineering for that car! :D

It's hard to ask for more torque than the LT4 already has... it's one of the things that makes LT4 cars so fun to drive all around.

The LT4 head has a much larger intake port - taller - than the LT1. One of the reasons for the LT4 specific intake. If the superram base has a lot of material over the top of the intake port, it may be 'portable' enough to work with the LT4 head.

Long intake runners are better for low RPM torque while short runners are better for higher RPM torque. The LT4 intake is pretty darn good and much better than a stock LT1 intake. The cost of all the mods to a superram may not be worth it.

Vettelt193 said:
It's hard to ask for more torque than the LT4 already has... it's one of the things that makes LT4 cars so fun to drive all around.

While the LT4 does have a nice flat torque curve, it doesn't measure up to the capabilities of the LS engines........one reason being that the LS engines have longer intake tubes resulting in more low/mid range torque

The L98 with long intake runners developed great peak low end torque, LT1/4 with shorter but larger intake tubes, develope great flat torque....the LS engines do both...

I keep hoping someone will develope an LS style polymer intake manifold for the LT4 as a bolt on.......

BTW LT1 and LT4 intake manifolds are not interchangeable.....

Tuna said:
The LT4 head has a much larger intake port - taller - than the LT1. One of the reasons for the LT4 specific intake. If the superram base has a lot of material over the top of the intake port, it may be 'portable' enough to work with the LT4 head.

Long intake runners are better for low RPM torque while short runners are better for higher RPM torque. The LT4 intake is pretty darn good and much better than a stock LT1 intake. The cost of all the mods to a superram may not be worth it.

Yup. That is why if you have a GEN I small block and are planning on running FastBurn heads (and you want to do a mini-ram on the cheap) you will want to use an LT4 manifold with the proper machining and a remote thermostat.

I have an LT1 manifold that I picked up on ebay that I plan on using on a GEN I small block.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom