Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Suspension Kits/Vendors

Rebelrob

Corvette
1982 Collectors Edition
Was curious about these suspension kits from Zip, Ecklers and VetteBrakes/Products. Figured if I am going to replace my shocks and front springs, might as well redo the bushings and joints while I got it apart.

Any body got any advise from which vendor to orders these from? Are they all the same quality? I don't want anything fancy. Just replacement/stock rubber to improve ride and durability. I am referring to the front suspension rebuild kits. Seems that the prices are competative but you seem to get more with some kits than you do with others from the different vendors.
As for shocks I have read more threads than I care to mention about this topic. Talk about tuff decision. I want better than stock but nothing to firm/stiff such as the kidney shakers, teeth filling loosners :L I keep reading about the Bilsteins.

Thx,
R

rebelrob, went through my 68 front and rear suspension using parts from Dr. Rebuild. as far as shocks, i went with KYB's out of jegs. it's a gas shock that makes car ride just right and wont bounce your kidneys.

For suspension and brake related items, I always check with Vette Brakes & Products ("VB&P") or Zip Products.
Both are supporting vendors here at the CAC and typically offer discounts to CAC folks.

Right now, VB&P has 20% off for CAC people. Click the link I just supplied.
Oh, and besides the fact that they are supporting vendors, VB&P makes top shelf products and have always been 100% awesome to work with. You'll occasionally see me "rah rah" them because when I have good experiences, I share them.

Thanks for the input. I guess I need to figure out the shocks. I will call VB/P and consult with them. I like the discount.
Im also thinking of getting a power steering rebuild kit. My power cylinder has a steady leak right where the shaft goes in. I see they sell a rebuild kit for a few bucks. But it sure looks like hell though. All rusty and chipping. Wonder if thats good idea or replace the whole ps system with a kit. Comes with hoses, valve, and cylinder..
Thx,

R

vbp is good

I got my rear composite mono spring from VBP and its really nice. Comfortable ride over bumps, I got the 300lb spring, after riding it around, I luv it, I might go with a 315 or higher if you want a stiffer ride, the 300 is pretty soft but i like it.

I use regular monroe shocks all the way around, gas shocks, they cost like next to nothing and the reason i use them is this: I spent close to 400 bucks for KYB adjustable 10 setting shocks for my 95 6 speed T/A and when I put them in the rear, no matter how low i dialed them down, to level 1, it was like riding a brick down the road. I took the rear shocks off, put in monroe gas shocks $25 just as an experiment, and presto, I had a normal ride again.

Its not about the money I found out the hard way, I still have 2 extra KYB 10 setting adjustable shocks sitting my garage. The front ones, one the other hand, I set and lowest setting and they seem fine, maybe a little stiff and I have no doubt if i switched them with gas Monroe's my ride would improve once again. Go figure.

I have been toying with the idea of going with a transverse monospring kit for the front of my 80 vette because the rear performs so well, but I'm thinking i'll stick with stock, I like the way my stock setup handles, though it does have a little steering slop at the top end. I would imagine it needs that bit of a steering gap at the top since the steering is so sensitive that you barely have to turn the wheel and she goes left/right real fast. At night, at highway speeds, its actually kinda scary how quick she responds and it would be so very easy to oversteer and on a wet road, spin out like a flipping top. Not sure how to adjust that.

anyway, good luck with yours !

:w:w:w
tony

First of all, your CE, like all of them, came with the factory HD suspension. I could change anything as far as springs go.

On shocks, unless you want degraded handing from the car, you need to replace the OE shocks with something that equiv. in damping and, since CEs, had a fairly-agressively valved shock, you need to equal that. I'd go with a Bilstein with HD valving.

As for bushings, unless you want increased harshness, use OE type rubber bushings. There are 8 in the front and 6 in the rear.

A big problem for late C3s is the lack of any high-performance radials in the stock size, 255/60-15. About all you can get these days are what amounts to "touring tires.".

Lastly, don't for get front and rear alighnment.

As for aftemarket parts, such as composite springs and so forth, I wouldn't bother with anything like that in the front for a car that sees normal driving duty cycle. In the rear, the composite spring from Vette Brakes and Products in the 330 or 360 rates is a good replacement for the stock 7-leaf HD rear spring, but unless your rear spring has failed or has very high mileage, unless you really want the weight savings, I wouldn't replace it.

OK, thanks for the new updates. Well the front springs need replacing as they have spacers installed on them and they are a harsh ride right now. HD (heavy duty?) not sure what you meant by that. Did not know the CE's came with any different of a suspension than the other models. I had a mechanic/friend check the front bushings and joints and he said they were good. No play/slop of any kind. So I will hold off till later. I did order some KYB GR2 shocks from VB/P. I want a better than stock, but comfortable ride. As for the rear- my car is already equipped with the composite spring in the back. It does not have the multiple leaf steel spring. It looks in great condition, so I am not going to touch that for now. Yes, will get my 4 wheel alignment after I complete this work and get some new tires.

I posted earlier that all 82 CEs came with FE7, but I was wrong.

I spent a little more time resarching this issue and what I learned indicates that many 82 Collector Editions had HD suspension, but not all of them did. I apologize for posting incorrect info.

Is your plastic rear spring an OE unit or is it an aftermarket spring? Also, does the car have a rear stabilizer bar?

Thanks Hib,

Well I'm not the original owner, but I think the spring is original. I have read that starting in 81, they started putting the composite rear spring on in place of the multi leaf steel spring. It has some crappy old looking hyrdraulic midas shocks on right now. So the originals were replaced a while back from the looks of the current shocks. Thats probably about the time they took the shortcut and put the spacers on the front springs.
I will have to go and check for the rear stabalizer bar. Im sure it does, but cannot be certain. Does the FE7 mean HD suspension ( I have also seen it called the gymkahana) if we are talking about the same option.

I posted earlier that all 82 CEs came with FE7, but I was wrong.

I spent a little more time resarching this issue and what I learned indicates that many 82 Collector Editions had HD suspension, but not all of them did. I apologize for posting incorrect info.

Is your plastic rear spring an OE unit or is it an aftermarket spring? Also, does the car have a rear stabilizer bar?

Does the FE7 mean HD suspension ( I have also seen it called the gymkahana) if we are talking about the same option.
Rob, check out the CAC Model Center. Lots of technical info about our cars.

1982 Model Center
...and more specifically, the Available Options

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom