Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Switching Bose Cassette to CD

pcvette

Corvette
1989 Coupe & 2001 Convertible
Hope someone can help!

I decided to switch out the Bose Cass. from my 89 Vette w/ a Bose CD that came from a Camaro. The Cass. has the old 12 Pin wiring harness and the CD has 21 Pin, so I bought GM harness converter Delco Part#16140051.

I plugged the CD to the converter harness and then into my dash, but I have two other wires coming from the car that do not fit.

I went back to my Cass. to compare. One is a single pink wire coming out on the left side of the unit, above the 12 Pin socket, with PACK CON inscribed on the plug. I also have a black wire coming out of the right side with PED inscribed.

Does anyone know what these wires/plugs are? Has anyone else converted a 89 Bose Cass w/ a Bose CD?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Dunno if the '89 and '90 are the same, but.....

The '90 electrical manual says:

Pink is the power antenna relay output OR the ignition switch. I cannot trell from the diagram and your description, which it is.

Black wires are (shown and usually) ground

:w

Good luck.

Its not the antenna relay and ground (thoses are labeled). The ignition switch is also labeled yellow - I can turn the unit on (get LED lights, radio station is displayed) but no sound.

Update: I just tried clipping the mysterious single pink wire labeled "PACK CON" onto spare hot plug on the 21 Pin connector and sound came on. Now whats even more strange is with the ignition key pulled out, there is still sound (unit/amps are humming)??? Still dont know what the other black wire labeled "PED" is for.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!

I've seen more than one ground wire on radios before. Page 8A-150-0 in the '90 electrical manual shows three. One is a radio ground in/out >>pin 14 on connector C2(audio connx); the other is pin 5 on C1 (power feed/ground). The last is an audio common.

Aha! Another pink (8ga) is the power trigger for the power antenna AND Delco-Bose amplifier relay.

Pink is also used, as a slightly smaller wire, for ignition out from the receiver box to the radio control head. I expect it is bundled into a plug.

:w

The pink antenna wire is bundled (with the Ignition, Ground, and Lamp), so it must be the Bose relay like you said. Just can't figure out why it stays on now even with the ignition key out???

Also looked closer at the other black PED wire. It has a shield ground wire along side of it like a satellite tv (RG5?) cable. Could this other black wire be part of the Bose relay and why my radio wont shut off?

;help :cry :bang

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom