Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TACH HELP

Nobody Cares

Corvette
red 81, orange 74 vert. , 80 claret,69 chevy pu
This will be for the tach in a 1980 vette. Have replaced the tach board and the tach filter. The tach did not work before. After replacing the tach board and tach filter the tach does not work at an idle. When reved it will work and drop to the red line side when the gas is let off. When reved again, it will work then drop again and will not work at an idle. Even when reved it's not reading correctly. Help needed. Thnx Dave :w

Thnx Mike , i wasn't able to pull the article up. To zero the tach out do you pull the needle off ?? I did try to pull the needle off with no luck. Does just the needle itself pull off or does the needle and the small shaft that it is attached too all come off?? Didn't want to get to physical with the needle, thought i might break something. Any more help would be appreciated. Thnx Dave :w

:beer

Is taking the needle off and setting it at zero , going to zero out the tach ?? Dave :w

Supposed to be a way to do it without pulling off the needle, if memory serves. I'll hunt through my magazine archives and see if I can locate the copy of Corvette Enthusiast.

:)

Thnx Mike , i wasn't able to pull the article up. To zero the tach out do you pull the needle off ?? I did try to pull the needle off with no luck. Does just the needle itself pull off or does the needle and the small shaft that it is attached too all come off?? Didn't want to get to physical with the needle, thought i might break something. Any more help would be appreciated. Thnx Dave

Dave, grab the tach needle right at the center, but not the tach needle it self. Just use your fingers and pull, wiggle it back and forth if needed, it will come off. The needle has a slight press fit, this is the reason it may seem stuck.

Once you have it off, turn on your ign. to the on position, not start (gives the tach 12 V) and place it back on at zero. Good Luck

Thnx for the help guys. I''l tackle the tach needle again this saturday. Hopfully i can it off and solve the problem. Thnx again Dave :w
VETTES8-27-07004.jpg

:bar

Did all of the above with no luck. Tach is still not operating correctly. Called the fella that makes the Tach board and will send the Tach and tach board off to him . Hopfully he can solve the problem. Thnx For the help guys. Dave :beer

:w

By the way i did get the needle off and reset to zero . Did not solve the problem. Tach was still very eractic. So off it goes to the fella that makes the tach board. Dave

:W:W:W:W

:w

Got the Tach back and installed. Tach is WORKING. Had sent it off to John T Gardner in Center Valley, PA. John is the fella that builds the tach boards for some the vette venders. His Telephone # is 610-797-4048. His email is JTANDJUDYG@AOL.COM. . Great job John.. Thnx Dave :w

:boogie:boogie:boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom