Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tach way off

Hrtbeat1

Corvette
'90 coupe (gone) '96 CE LT4 Z51
Here's one for ya. My tach is reading way off. Approximately 1500 RPM's off. It seems to be working but it is reading way out of range. At idle its reading almost 1800 and at WOT it pegs way past the 6000 marker. Today Magmotor and I went and did some performance tests with my new chip vs my factory chip. We were using his Ease software and logging each run. When we got back and started analyzing the data we collected it showed the RPMs at idle around 650, where it should be. So my question is anyone got an idea whats amiss or how to correct it for that matter. I know the tach signal comes from the distributor and everythings hooked up or else I wouldn't be getting any tach reading.

Wave On :w

I think i have the same problem!! my 90 will redline before i get the pedal to the floor...should it be at near 5000 rpm when i down shift into 4th at 50 mph? also it idles as high as 1500 rpm. sounds odd to me. i'm lookin into this as well. pls let me know if you find out anything new. i'll be sure to let you know ifi fix it!

Thanks Ken,

I was hoping that wasn't the case but I had a feeling. Looks like I got another project for the weekend.

:w

My pictoral tach lags and was never in agreement with the digital. I'd ensure that the error was enough cause for concern before jumping into a replacement.

Sounds like Heartbeat's is a candidate.

I exchanged mine many years ago at a Delco certified repair facility. The cost is not too outrageous. Otherwise, I'd check the big Corvette suppliers; perhaps a CAC supporter.

We repair clusters, but first get some quotes-so as to compare prices. You can email me for more specifics, I don't want to limit your options.

well, listen to this. my tac at 55 mph pegs at 6,000 when i turn it off is sticks at 4,000. turn the switch back on and it drops to 0. Had it checked out, everything seemed to work so they thought it was the distributer, had it replaced and it was not it either. he just charged me fot the part, and not labor. So i guess its to the delear it goes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom