Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tachometer face replacement

mcditalia

Corvette
1966 convertible, 327 L79
I need to replace the face on my tachometer and haven't really started to read up on it yet. I figured I'd get a head start and ask here first. :)

What is the simplest way to do this? Do I need to take the steering column out? Is there a way to take just the face off from the front or do I need to take the whole tach assembly out from the back of the instrument cluster?

No short cuts for this simple job....
You'll have to remove the cluster and do the swap on the bench. You shouldn't have to remover the steering column but you will want to detach it from the dash and let it droop down and out of the way.
Might as well replace the pointers and all of the dash lamps as well while its all out. You can use tape and label each wire as they come of the cluster for reassembly.
I believe that you can support the cluster while to tape the Id of the lamps and then reinstall the lamps after the tach face swap with the use of 1/4 - 20 threaded rods. They go between the cluster and the dash frame.

DonO

I removed the steering column on my 1966 and was glad I did. The small ball bearing in the lower end was broken and I replaced it. I also repainted the inside of the dash cluster assembly which had some kind of green coating on it. I used a can of spray "chalk board" green. Now when my dash lights are on they glow a nice green tint at night.

Thanks for the replies. That is a great article. However, it doesn't cover taking any of the gauges out of the cluster once it's out. I'm assuming that once the cluster is out, the rest will be pretty straight forward, I hope.;)

Here are some pix of my dash removed. Notice the piece with 6 holes that mounts behind the cluster and kinda hold it all in place.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom