Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tansmission tunnel insulation

cwerve74

Corvette
1974 454MT red conv
Is it possible to install the transmission tunnel insulation with out removing the transmission or engine? It looks like you could cut a slot on the lest side up to the shifter hole and then slide it around. Has anyone ever tried this?

It is p/n 633565 in the attached picture.

They did away with it after '75 or '76--probably the collar alone is as effective. I don't see how you'd secure it to the underside of the floor pan. Doesn't your '74 have one already?

Yes, it is possible to add insulation in that area without removing the trans. It is difficult but can be done. First the fiberglass underbody (trans tunnel) must be very clean. Degrease area completely and then wipe clean with lacquer thinner or similar product. Then use Cool and Quiet's Zero Clearance product. It is self adhesive, can be custom cut to fit and is easy to install. It will take some time to cut and manuver the insulation into place--it can be done in sections--make patterns or measure and then cut to fit. The product is very effective to eliminate heat. However you should already have the factory insulation in place on your car now. Check for it.

Go to Coolandquiet.com to view the product. I have used it. Highly recommend it.

I remember pulling that oil soaked thing out of my then muncie L48 '72 here....thought it was a fire hazard waiting to happen, course now the leaks are long since fixed, and I do wonder how much actual good that thing was supposed to do, as usual I too have a 'hot shark'......

GENE

Ok the votes are in Thanks for the input. Yes my 74 BB had one or what is left of one. Just a scrap or two that moves around as I drive. I like the collar idea. The Munci M21 does not put out that much heat it is almost all from the engine and exhaust. If I make a collar type device (I will check the cool & quite stuff out) I can get it in place with some sort of mastic on the body side . If I ever get to a trans rebuild I can then put it back to orginal. Thanks again.

You can replace without removing the trans, just remove the shifter and it will fit without cutting. Takes an extra hour and you are stock.

The trans collar was another and separate thing to keep tunnel heat down.

Terry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom