Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Targa top success!

Dukeallen

Corvette
1989 Bright Red Coupe
We got the top off! I just wanted to thank all the folks who gave me such good suggestions.
Per your suggestions, I squirted wd-40 along the weatherstripping, drove over some speed bumps and pot holes, then found a nice flat spot in a parking lot. Got my shoulder under it and pushed, and it came off with a loud POP! My wife gave a little scream too ;LOL
Got our first compliment too, some kids on bikes yelling "I love your convertible" (ok close enough):thumb
It felt good coming home topless...and it went right back on with no problems.
Thanks everyone!

Great!:thumb

Going topless does feel so good....I'm hoping to see more doing it..!;)

Be careful with the WD on the rubber...I'm not real sure how that will workout. The soft spongy rubber of weatherstrip can be damaged by petroleum products.

Armour-All has a Gel thats much thicker than the standard stuff. Wiping a good coat of that on the weather strip may help soften it up and help with the future release. Some guys say they use silicone grease on tops and door seals in the winter to prevent sticking and freezing shut.

It may be worth researching to see whats best for stock weatherstrip to keep it from degrading or hardening anymore than age has already done.. I CAN tell you that the use of chemicals, cleaners, degreasing chemicals WILL destroy the weatherstrip, and NEVER-EVER:mad allow degreaser to touch wires or electrical plugs OR the suspensions composite leaf-type spring,.

Enjoy your new car !:beer

Glad that you got it off without joining the FRC. :L I think that if you read the FSM (Factory Service Manual), it says to use Dielectric grease on the weatherstripping. I buy mine at the auto parts store, but I've heard that it can be bought in larger quantities and less $$$$ from swimming pool supply houses.

Looks like I still have much to learn. But a swimming pool supply place is in walking distance at least!
Thanks guys:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom