Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Telescoping tilt 69

korvettekarl

Corvette
2017 Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air
HELP! Can't get the ignition key to the lock position. I have the ignition out, but am really not looking forward to disassembling the entire column. Anybody got any ideas?

Is the backdrive lever at the base of the column in the fully "up" position? That lever controls whether or not you can turn the key to the "Lock" position so you can remove the key.

:beer

I will check that right now.

Nope. It did allow it to move a little bit further but not enough to put it in lock position. I am working on this for a friend. He is the original owner but not mechinically inclined. He has had a few hacks work on it over the years. I suspect someone has taken this column apart before. I have done reqular tilts before but not a telescoping one. Lot of parts in these things.

Thanks for the info, I do apreciate the help.

The lever at the firewall base should have a cable running to it from the transmission. When the car is either put in Park.. Or in reverse, this cable will push the lever up and allow the car to go I the Lock position. If the cable is seized up or broken it will not allow the car to go in to Lock. Its called the “Trans Lock out cable”. If the cable is bad you can take it loose and wire up the lever at the column. Use some bail wire for a temporary fix to hold the lever up.

Both AT and MT used this cable and it’s held in place with the “mickey mouse” style clips. The cable should cost you about 34.00 for a new one if this is the problem.

W

Thanks for all the answers. It was of combination of a poor rebuild previously and the lock out cable. Again thanks to all the great people at CAC.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom