Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Temp Higher After Pump Replaced??

Donne Trav

Corvette
1994 Blk/Blk
Before my "water pump" was replaced, my running temperature was a constant 185 degrees in my '94 LT1, 6SPD. After replacing the pump, the "temperature gauge" was in the "middle" of the meter, suggesting temp was around 205 degrees. GM mechanic said that the specs suggest that normal running temp "should be in the 205 degree range. Someone please explain to me, "like I'm a 2yr. old", why my temp would be higher after the new pump was installed? (from 185 to 205)
willy_nilly.gif

What is your running temperature? Thank you

Before my "water pump" was replaced, my running temperature was a constant 185 degrees in my '94 LT1, 6SPD. After replacing the pump, the "temperature gauge" was in the "middle" of the meter, suggesting temp was around 205 degrees. GM mechanic said that the specs suggest that normal running temp "should be in the 205 degree range. Someone please explain to me, "like I'm a 2yr. old", why my temp would be higher after the new pump was installed? (from 185 to 205)
willy_nilly.gif

First, know that the analog gauges in the IP of a 94 are terribly non-linear and, thus, inaccurate.

What is your ECT on the digital display?

As for why an engine might run warmer after a water pump change?

1) Wrong pump.
2) Wrong pump gasket
3) Defective pump.
4) Improper replacement procedure.
5) Air bubble in system after pump change

Both my 96 LT4's run @ a constant 195 as per the digital gauge. As Hutch says, the analog gauge
is hard to comprehend exactly what the temperature is.

You may need to have the car burped, kinda like a 2 year old.:D

Did they change your thermostat? Mine has a 195 in it and normally runs over the 200 mark. I've been told that C4's around my year have always run in the 200's.

Both my 96 LT4's run @ a constant 195 as per the digital gauge. As Hutch says, the analog gauge
is hard to comprehend exactly what the temperature is.

You may need to have the car burped, kinda like a 2 year old.:D

They don't need to be "burped".

All Gen 2 V8s have two bleeder valves in the system. The procedure for filling then bleeding the air out of the system is covered in the Service Manual.

willy_nilly.gif

Did they replace the Thermostat too?

185 for a LT1 seems like an aftermarket T-stat....

Mike

Sorry someone already posted the obvious . For some reason the thread view is jacked up on my computer.

Mike

Higher Temp - Sticky T-Stat

willy_nilly.gif

I have had the same problem with other cars. Sometimes when you drain the cooling system the T-Stat will dry out and bind on its shaft due to mineral deposits. I have seen them stick completely closed and not open. Clean the T-Stat in vinegar and cycle it a few times on the stove in a pot of water. Keep some ice cubes handy to quickly drop the temperature of the water. Check it the initial opening temperature and where it is full open. If should start to open about 15 degrees below the rating and full open by the time it reaches it rated temperature. It should shut quickly when you cool it down.

If it doesn't open where expected replace it. Check any brand new thermostat in the same manner.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom