Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Test lead

I haven't done it before but I believe you can just unplug the fan and hook up a ground and power wire to the plug to test it.

Thats my question. Where can I hook the lead to get the power. I wanted to avoid running my wire from the battery to the fan.

Hopefully someone more educated with this will chime in but I think the fan gets 12V under normal conditions so, if you have some extra power wire laying around, you can run the wire from the starter to the fan plug. It helps to have a spool of wire for things like this.

The electric fan connection is on the passenger side of the car, past the ac pump along the fender wall. It is a two wire connector that SHOULD be sitting right on top of the air intake. Normally, if the air intake has ever been removed, people push the wire down so it will be just under the air intake. Two wires, hot and ground.

If I'm right the lead wire is always hot. The ground wire goes to the switch. So if you cross the two connectors the fan should work. If not you can connect the test lead to the positive lead from the generator, headlight or as said starter. I think the other wires are not up to the amps test.

Greetings Peter

+12V Power Source

You can uplug the underhood lamp connection located in front of the driver's side front fender. A bit difficult to get clips on the contacts without shorting though....but possible.
Just using the fan connector is the best choice....just be sure to check which one is +12 before touching one of them to frame(ground).

You could also just short the fan switch at the head and fan will come on when the key is ON.

Thanks guys. I used the generator to get my power and ground. Worked perfectly. Fan motor is working properly.

BBerry

Hey guys. I'm still troubleshooting my auxiliary fan. Fan motor is working and fuse is good. I reattached the blue and black wires onto the sensor in the right side block that had been disconnected. Still fan will not kick on with AC running or no other time. Is there a relay that I can check? Any suggestions to further troubleshoot? Thanks.

the sensor on the right side head is the switch for the fan.
It should come on at about 234 degrees f.
mine will come on when I'm in heavy city traffic or hot summer day's with the A/C on
in a parking lot or slow traffic.....

I have not checked the wiring schematics, but I do not think the aux fan will come on when the AC is switched on....that came to be in later years.
As far as I remember the fan switch in the head is a direct connection for the 12V return, so there is no relay in the circuit.

You could remove your water pump fan and drive the car...the engine will get hot enough to close the aux fan switch....as long as it is working. Suggest putting an ohm meter across the leads and then remove the water pump fan instead of driving the car anywhere to see if the aux fan comes on or not. This way you can when the fan switch closes or if the coolant temp gauge gets too hot for you....short the test leads across the fan switch to cool the engine down before any damage occurs.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information. Can you clarify your suggestion? You suggested that I place an ohm meter across the leads, the drive the car with the water pump fan off? Im not sure I understand. How do I disconnect the water pump fan?
Thanks.

you should have a clutch fan for your water pump fan,
unless someone's put an aftermarket electric fan in.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom