Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Testing a stock 1981 aux cooling fan...

FactoryC3

Corvette
1981 Black Coupe Red Interior
I am wondering how one could test the proper operation of the aux cooling fan. I cannot recall it ever coming on. Even on hot days.

Take the wire off the sensor,(Right side of engine,)and run a. Hot wire to it.it should start running.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Take the wire off the sensor,(Right side of engine,)and run a. Hot wire to it.it should start running.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The temperature sensor in the head is actually the ground. When it closes as the temperature reaches the predetermined level, the circuit grounds to the head. Unplug the wire and ground it to a clean ground and the fan should run. That will tell you if the fan works. as for the temperature, I'll see if I can find when it is supposed to close. I know it has to get pretty hot. Mine has rarely come on.

Tom

The temperature sensor in the head is actually the ground. When it closes as the temperature reaches the predetermined level, the circuit grounds to the head. Unplug the wire and ground it to a clean ground and the fan should run. That will tell you if the fan works. as for the temperature, I'll see if I can find when it is supposed to close. I know it has to get pretty hot. Mine has rarely come on.

Tom

I believe it is on at 238* and off at 201*.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom