Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TH350 Pan Gasket And A Few Other Questions?

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
So, while my car is (still) up on jack stands I dropped the leaky tranz pan...last trans service I used (cork/rubber) AC Delco but it has been weeping.

Question #1
is there any other manufacture of filter/gasket that may be better than the AC Delco product? And should I again use sealant on one or both sides?

Question #2
I'm reading about the th350 'intermediate accumulator cover O-ring' LEAKING, however...I can't find any pictures or procedures on how to change it out?

Question #3
what about adding a drain plug to the OE pan...has anyone done this and if so, where did you locate the new drain plug?

Thanks for any feedback, Ray

Normally for these questions i hit google. The hotrodders and yellowbullet forums is were i get this kind of info.

For the gasket. The black multi layer ones seem to be the best. Forgot that material they are.

Greetings Peter

New Felpro composite gasket has been installed for a few days now (car still up on blocks/ramps).

Had it running for a few moments...and sure enough and as research stated...the 'Accumulator Cover O-ring' is where it's weeping.
Of course, to gain suitable access to this cover, the front Y-pipe must come down...this car is wearing me the (F) out :hb

Google- THM350 Accumulator Cover- it'll show you pictures of the cover, that bad azz spring that's under the cover, and the piston. Easy change- compressing that (@*&$$ spring to get the snap ring out is the tough part.

Google- THM350 Accumulator Cover- it'll show you pictures of the cover, that bad azz spring that's under the cover, and the piston. Easy change- compressing that (@*&$$ spring to get the snap ring out is the tough part.
I did some researching, saw some pictures and read how others went about it.
Feedback tells me, the O-ring MUST be first installed into the bore vs putting it on the cover...and to help it slide together and seal to use something very slippery like STP or Vaseline.

Doesn't appear to be difficult job HOWEVER > crawling under the car to have a look, I can barely get my hand between the exhaust pipe and the trany.
I may get away with removing the long heat shield...if not, and for needed working room the Y-pipe will have to be dropped...and that kinda sucks.

Accumulator Cover off!
The O-Ring was hard as a rock and cracked when removing it from the cover.

The C-ring/wire holding the cover on was installed like the letter 'C' and what I did was to tap-tap it around so the open end was facing the rear of the car > that's the ONLY way to get the wire to compress enough as you stick in a thin punch etc to push the wire retainer 'in' to where you can get behind it with a small flat-blade screw driver to sort of unwind it out of its groove.

And yes, I had to drop the Y-pipe...no biggie.

Now to see if a local transmission shop will sell me the needed o-ring.

I don't know how close you are to a good size city, but most of the trans shops in my area get parts from a "parts only" supplier. When I build an automatic, I go direct to that source for parts. Look in the yellow pages if you still have one- if you can't get one locally, let me know and I'll send you the info for my supply guys.

:beer

And you are correct- Vaseline works very well. I'd recommend getting your very own small jar for the shop. I used some of the wife's once and then returned the jar.. Bad idea. I guess I didn't see the little bit goo I left in the jar..

Last edited:
You always hurt the one you love,............or,who put the sand in the Vaseline jar......

New o-ring in and Y-pipe back up.
Local tranz shop gave me the o-ring, and I gooped it up with Vaseline...seemed to seat well.
Getting the retaining ring in while pushing the cover 'in' was a bit of a pita.
I sure hope this 0-ring was indeed the weep I was seeing.

Last edited:
Good bet. If the old one cracked when you removed it, it's a good bet it was "past it's service life"! When you start it the next time, shift it manually all the way to low and then back to park. IIRC, when the lever is in manual 2nd, it will charge the cavity behind the 2nd accumulator and seat the cover and o-ring.

I think everything on this car is past it's service life...just like the owner.
When should I put in in 2 'nd...After park, low, park???

Last edited:
Just drop it from park to R to N to 3,2,1 and back to park. Give it a little time to shift into each gear and then check the fluid level when you get back to park. If the cover is going to leak, it'll show by the time you get the trans filled up.
:thumb:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom