Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The adventure begins...

P

Piet

Well, I picked up another project car.... and the prospect of working outdoors was less than exciting.

So the wife an I were talking and she says "I think it is time to build a garage." (I love her !)

Third house... first garage!

So I am building a 24' deep by 30' wide, 10' ceiling garage.

One 16'w by 8' door
One Mandoor
Two 4'w slider windows
One 6' patio door

I am running the services (Electrical, Cable, phone) in from the back lane into the garage and underground to the house.

I am running gas and water from the house into the garage. Installing in-floor heating, and connecting to the sewer line for my floor drain, sink and toilet.

AND... I am planning to to most of the work myself. Should be an adventure!

Congratulations. You're doing more than I did when you go for plumbing too!

Garage-lg.jpg

TheATeam.jpg

If I had it to do over again, I'd make it higher to allow for a hoist. Oh well, next time.

You didn't tell us what the other project car is.

Good luck.

Congratulations!!

You will love the finished product. I had mine built last year and included full bath, power enough for welders, and compressor. Even wired it for TV, internet and monitored security. Also had central air added later. (We need cool air here in TX where it is already 98 degrees)

Be sure to go as high as possible on the ceiling for lifting room.
I look forward to following your progress!!

BTW, you have a fine looking Camaro! I have always liked the first two generation of Camaros.

Bill

I also agree, if you think you'll ever be interested in a car lift, you might consider an 11' or 12' ceiling. It will really come in handy and it's the minimum height for just about any lift. I just got through with my garage project as well. Talk about having it wired, I had it wired with a fire and burglar alarm as well as heat detectors in the attic, security cameras and listening devices in and outside the building. Electrical outlets for heavy duty equipment in several areas, even some extra junction boxes for future possibilities. Cable for internet and video. Cat 5 throughout epecially in exterior walls for any future needs. I did go overboard with wiring, but it's pennies on the dollar if you have to wire anything after the walls are finished. I can watch my garage inside and out via the internet, which means I can keep an eye on the place even from work.

also if you are going to do cieling high enough for a lift a gaurage door that is extended to go up to thetop is necessary to be ably to work with the door open,

Picked up an air compressor

A Coleman powermate CL0602712
6 hp - 27 Gal tank
95 - 125 PSI operating pressure

7.7 CFM @ 40 PSI
6.0 CFM @ 90 PSI

I wanted it 'portable', oilless, and beltless (it's for occational use)

CL0602712_350.jpg

Finances... Check
Garage Building Permit... Check
Plumbing Permit.... er.... almost

I am hooking into the sewer line for floor drain, toilet and sink.

I am also doing in-floor heating. I plan on using an electric water heater to avoid the pilot light of a gas fired one.

Plumbing Permit... Check
Call before you Dig... Check
Order Garage... Check
Rent Excavator... Check
Dig trench for water line... Check
Dig for Sewer... Check

I rented a little Kubota kx41... worked great... but wish it had a loger reach.
Kx41-2v.jpg

I had the trench cave in 3 times.... argh!... had to backfill and re-dig... Got pretty quick after a while.

I had the trench cave in 3 times.... argh!... had to backfill and re-dig... Got pretty quick after a while

That sucks but at least you were getting practice! :gap

sounds like you are having some fun there...

I need to build a garage but I also need to get out of the house I am in and into something new..

johnny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom