Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The "Nickel Trick"

• Thread starter Thread starter Brett
  • Start date Start date
B

Brett

When I was 9 years old (which was back on 1990), I went on a tour of the Bowling Green plant. The ZR-1 was (obviously) brand spanking new, and that's what all the hub-bub was about. On part of the tour, the tour guy put a nickel, standing up on its side, on the LT-5, and started the engine and let it run. The nickel stayed on edge the entire time, which was to show how smooth the engine was.

Have any of you Z owners here ever tried to do this?

Brett

I havn't tried it on the LS1 yet, I'm still trying to find the right side of the nickle.

:Buttslap

There is no mercy here!! The right side of the nickel?

Ok, I will edit.....

I didn't think it was that confusing of a concept.....

Brett

well if the motor is tuned and running right you should be able to set anything on it and it shouldnt move ..right?

Yeah, but I don't think many other engines with 400+ horsepower can keep a nickel on EDGE.

Brett

I did it a few years ago. I had a video clip of it, but 2 PCs and 3 formats later I think I lost it. Someone did a compilation video, and it was in there.

What happens when you rev the engine :D

Corvette-Pilot said:
What happens when you rev the engine :D

You get 5 penies:gap

Smooth 396??? Not so in my case - lumpy cam. I used to mix my hot chocolate on mine!! :m

If you got a Z you probably don't have nickel to stand on the engine. ;LOL

Just kidding guys!!

Randy:w

LOL Randy, nope don't have a "Z" ..... Zanimul comes from my 1991 Lumina Z34.... it was my vanity tag on that car - hint, spell it backward.

Can it still be performed if the Vette has been Zanio'ed?

Hey... just tried the nickel thing on my '78. On a related note: did anyone find a nickel... I just lost one.

I wonder how many of us Vette owners will be trying this at home tonight?

:s

on my 95 I balanced a nickel many times, car could run up to 4k without it falling over but it would spin around.

once on a bet, I went down to the car and didn't have a nickel with me and was able to do the same trick with a penny!!!

the zr1s balance and tolerances are pretty good even by todays standards.

and no, neither one of my LPEs ZR1s will do it. you need the stock cams/timing.

I've seen the vid by Biz...and done it on both my Z's and it will stay to about 4Krpm's...they are both stock

I always thought if the nickel falls its tune-up time

:t

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom