Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! The rain fixed my electrical problems tonight,LOL, ???, why?? ground issue?? water completed circut?

joe nissan

1992 C4 CONV. 80,000 miles.

SYMPTOMS:

Service ASR light on, speedometer reads ZERO, security light flashes every 15 seconds 3 times, runs well, starts every time, but wont rev above 3000 RPM.

Codes: jumped pins a and g.

Module 1- c41, h41, h53, h54, h72,h74

Module 4 error

Module 9 h64, h72

I tried the following> replaced Ecm, looked at all the grounds, still cannot cummunicate with ECM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok drove car home tonight,,,, after watching it carefully, I noticed a week ago while driving it she began to miss and the speedometer read 220 km on the digital display.....then shortly thereafter, it shut down.....I pull to side of road, I tried to start up again it would not.......I disconnected battery,, reconnected it, and it started...therefore by disconnecting battery something was reset......
:eyerole

TONIGHT I took car out in the RAIN.....after about 15 minutes of driving everything started to work......SO something got wet and completed a ground ?????? before jumping A and G i had codes in module 1, module 4 err, module 9 codes as I mentioned in my past post.....tonight I have codes in all three modules, module 1 had
h41, h54, h72......module 4 --- was clean and I was able to get into the ECM HURRAY LOL, module 9 had code h72,,,,,, but still the service ASR light was on.......when I got home I checked the codes again but this time using the dash function I cleared codes in each module, and the SERVICE ASR light went off....and now the car in NO LONGER in LIMP MODE, and I also have full power and the AC is working again......SO MY QUESTION IS "WHAT THE HECK DID THE RAIN DO TO COMPLETE WHAT CIRCUIT" to me it seems, as crazy as this will sound, when car was dry it was missing some connection, and all the electrical issues developed, the car got wet and the rain bridged something....... with electrical its the opposite lol......so let me calm down and ask the question.....if the RAIN fixed the car, what can I look for when its dry.....WOW, what a question...If anyone of my customers told me what I wrote....I am sure I would think this person was crazy.......I now have see it all......:mad

THINKING out loud,
:mad again driving in the rain completed a GROUND ??? connection, something and all the functions mentioned cleared up.......HELP>>>>> your friend JOE..... ps am I crazy lol.....KK:w

Welcome onto the boards there.

Do you have FSM? Do you have a multimeter? You absolutely need both for diagnostics. FSM will tell you what's SUPPOSED to be going on, so even if you don't want to DIY, you'll know when the mechanic is shovelling fertilizer into your ears.

With so many DTC's, some of them probably defer to others, in the diagnostic flow charts...

Rainwater will close a circuit - like a bad ground. And 'looking' at grounds really won't tell you too much.

Are your spark plug wires PROPERLY routed? Hi-energy ignition through mis-routed wires emits EMI, just like a nuke, and Solid State electronics / sensors don't like EMI 'nary a bit..............................

Last edited:
The only code you had which was not historical was "C41". This refers to an "Ignition control error".

I would look at the circuit and the connections for the Ignition Control module which is mounted under the Ignition Coil on the passenger side cylinder head.

Would not hurt to remove the module and clean and reinstall with the proper insulating grease under the module.

Good suggestion about checking the connections of all the ignition wires. Not easy to do on an LT1, but very important.

:w

The only code you had which was not historical was "C41".
This refers to an "Ignition control error".
MODULE 1 :CCM
DTC 41 ECM Data Communications Lost
A well documented and frustrating to isolate serial data communication problem prevalent in 90-93 cars;

DTC 41 in module 4 ( ECM ) is the code you state

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom