Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The "Ripper" is on the way!

Corvette
Blk/Blk '96 LT4 Coupe
My B&M "Ripper" is on the way!

Hi,

Just ordered a B&M "Ripper" short throw shifter from Jegs. It'll be here Fri! Bill B. (aka ZFDoc) and I will install it this weekend. He says that he has a new mod for the B&M's that make them shift even better. In fact, I'm stoppin' by his place after work to take a look at a car w/ a modded B&M that he just finished. He said the shifts are incredible. Can't wait!!

That is my weakest link left w/ this car...the shifter. Although I've definitely driven worse, the stock shifter sucks in the ZF. Throws are sloppy and way too long. Since my car is my daily driver I am constantly fighting w/ this thing. I want crisp, notchy short throw shifts and that is what I'm gonna get.

I'll post once I get her back together...

Jeff

btw...My other weak link (EM Longtube Headers) are under the Xmas tree! I can tell by the size of the box! Mrs. Claus (aka my wife Lisa) has answered my prayers.

Pssssstt... she has a Louis Voitton purse under there w/ her name on it. She has no clue that I bought it for her. Sucker cost me a small fortune. It will be a very merry Xmas for us both!

MERRY XMAS TO ALL!

Sounds like its going to be a great Christmas Jeff!!

Merry Christmas from snowy central Ohio!!

Jim

koolaid117 said:
Merry Christmas from snowy central Ohio!!

Jim

:beer

I feel for ya'. It hasn't rained here for over a month and we're averaging 70*to 75* each day. Winters here are wonderful but the summers here are BRUTAL! Also, it is a little tough to get into the Xmas spirit when it's all cacti (cactuses is incorrect I believe) & sunshine.

Cya :w

I've got a ripper in my TKO and it is sweet just a quick flick of the wrist and your in another gear even tighter then the old Hurst 4-speed it replaced.

JEFNLSA said:
:beer

I feel for ya'. It hasn't rained here for over a month and we're averaging 70*to 75* each day. Winters here are wonderful but the summers here are BRUTAL! Also, it is a little tough to get into the Xmas spirit when it's all cacti (cactuses is incorrect I believe) & sunshine.

Looks like I'm going to have to pack up some snow and send it to you.:L:L:L

Good to see that you're getting the shifter in. Please let us know how it works out and especially about the installation process and how easy or difficult that was. I don't have the 6 speed but my GTO will have the 6 speed. I've already read about the long throws in that so a short throw would be one of the first mods that I do.

Jeff, if you want some long throws on the shifter, try my 73 Trans Am. Second and Fourth gears are almost in the back seat :L

Good to here things are going well for you and your wife this holiday season.

I have been looking at my shifter wondering if there was a way to shorten the stick on it. Has gotten so I grab it below the knob. I don't race it so really can't justify a lot of money for a shifter.

Glenn
:w

Edmond said:
Looks like I'm going to have to pack up some snow and send it to you.:L:L:L

Cool, I'll use it when I make my pina colada that I'll be drinking pool-side. :D ;LOL

vetteboy86 said:
Jeff, if you want some long throws on the shifter, try my 73 Trans Am. Second and Fourth gears are almost in the back seat :L

Good to here things are going well for you and your wife this holiday season.

Man I can empathize. I used to have Dodge Demon (340 4spd posi etc..) that had tallest, longest throwing shifter. I could smack a backseat passenger in the mouth w/ my elbow when I grabbed 2nd. :L

Thx for your comment about Lisa & I. Things are great! :D

G Winter said:
I have been looking at my shifter wondering if there was a way to shorten the stick on it. Has gotten so I grab it below the knob. I don't race it so really can't justify a lot of money for a shifter.

Glenn

It's really not that pricey. $200 for the B&M and 2 hours to install. You can get the short throw Hurst for around $125. I really don't race my car either BUT I do drive the heck out of it. This realistically may be the most rewarding mod that I will do to the car. I'll let ya' know. ;)

6 Shooter said:
Ya need to post a new shot once you Git-R-Done !!!

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Yeah, all my pics are outdated... engine, tires (GS-D3's now) etc...
Once I get my shifter (have a new knob as well) and longtubes in it's new pics time.

Do the aftermarket shifters have a similar reverse lockout system ? I didn't realize the hurst was that cheap. I may have to go for that. Thanks for the info.
Glenn

PS sounds like you have a very nice relationship with your wife. Some of us are very lucky that way. :)

G Winter said:
Do the aftermarket shifters have a similar reverse lockout system ? I didn't realize the hurst was that cheap. I may have to go for that. Thanks for the info.
Glenn

PS sounds like you have a very nice relationship with your wife. Some of us are very lucky that way. :)

Don't quote me on this but, no I don't believe they do. I think that feature is eliminated as the aftermarkets are for all ZF's w/ or w/o RL. From what I understand, the B&M is a more agressive shifter...notchy w/ real short throws. The Hurst is more like stock w/ shorter throws and a less racy feel.
I opted for the B&M but either would be a nice upgrade IMO.

Lisa is wonderful...I am a lucky guy! Sounds like we both are. ;)

Jeff,
Just curious...as to what the installation price is going to be for this shifter. I too have been looking at them. But I thought this guy you are taking it to has one of his own design? (I may be remembering someone else). Anyway I read through the installation instructions from B&M and there are alot of steps including removing the center console, dropping the exhaust system down in order to get access to the trans....this is why I am curious about the installation cost for I too would like one of these.

Later,
Lanny

JEFNLSA said:
Lisa is wonderful...I am a lucky guy! Sounds like we both are. ;)

Over 35 yrs of lucky here. I didn't know it was possible but has gone from great to fantastic over the yrs.:D Hope it goes the same way for you.
Glenn.

also let me know on how easy the install goes....2 hours labor seems like a hell of a deal....I do all of my own work but hesitate on the shifter due to all of the horror stories I hear about the install....good luck

LannyL81 said:
Jeff,
Just curious...as to what the installation price is going to be for this shifter. I too have been looking at them. But I thought this guy you are taking it to has one of his own design? (I may be remembering someone else). Anyway I read through the installation instructions from B&M and there are alot of steps including removing the center console, dropping the exhaust system down in order to get access to the trans....this is why I am curious about the installation cost for I too would like one of these.

Later,
Lanny

The shifter is a couple hours work (at most for Bill, who can do this blindfolded) to install but w/ Bill (ZF Doc) doing his "mod" to the B&M, he figures another hour or so. As we are friends & I'm gonna help, I'm getting a great deal BUT on average it's a $200 shifter w/ about a $200 install. That is before the "mod". You'd have to talk to Bill about his modification price...if interested. If you want perfection, I highly recommend it. The stock B&M has numerous design flaws which he has corrected.

Let me add: I was at his place last night and got check out his modded B&M (installed in the Vette from hell - racecar) and the difference between stock is like night & day. To me it felt absolutely awesome but for some it may be too much. I'm talkin' about maybe an 1- 1/2" throw between neutral and each gear. No play, slop, slack...whatever.. whatsoever. I have never felt a shifter anywhere near like that. It's almost impossibe to describe. The shift from 2nd to 3rd is so quick & tight I almost had to laugh. When I got in my car to leave, I swear my shifter felt broken...like a giant rubber band was holding it together. Bad analogy but that's all I got! One thing though, the B&M definitely requires more effort to shift but MUCH LESS MOVEMENT. I can't wait to have this in my car but, for some, the Hurst may be more to their liking. Like Bill said, the Hurst is basically like the stock shifter but w/ shorter throws. The B&M on the other hand is a completely different shifting experience. Much tighter, notchy, race car feeling but the shift accuracy is like nothing you have ever felt before. Bill's mod has eliminated all the play, slop etc...but even the stock B&M gives you a whole new shifting experience.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom