Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

These Prices are Crazy!!!

OldCorvetteFan

Corvette
Black 95 6 spd Coupe (Sold); 2011 GS
I happened to be browsing Vettehound.com, and came across the following:

Out of 37 63-67 Vettes for sale, three have these prices:

63 Convertible for $12,000

64 Couple for $12,400

66 Convertible for $8,200

Now, I know there are some reasons that Mid Years would have less than stellar values, but this looks almost like a scam.

Any opinions? If these are legit, then I call first dibs!

Steven

http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classifieds.php?a=2&b=2560

Are they all for sale by the same owner. You know i hate to be a doupting thomas but I would have to call a scam on the 66 you linked to. If they wanted to make it less of a scam they should have advertized it for only 45,000 it would have caught just as many folks

OldCorvetteFan said:

64 Couple for $12,400

Now, I know there are some reasons that Mid Years would have less than stellar values, but this looks almost like a scam.

Steven

Stay away....scam is written all over it.....likely an offshore posting wanting a deposit on a toogoodtobetrue deal.

OldCorvetteFan said:

64 Couple for $12,400

Steven

too good to be true?

There used to be a few publications in the pre internet days that you would pick up a the local news stand for something like $1.50 a copy.

They had names like "Want ad Press" or Car Trader ... something like that, it's been awhile.

At the time, I was buying "tired" MG's and 914's that just needed TLC for $500 or so and putting in lots of "sweat equity", never making any real money but I always had a fun summer car for cheaps at the end of the project. Bought some parts here and there and it was fun and I saved $$$. A kid in upstate NY would have a set of "mini-lite" mags for $100 etc, so some of the deals were real, but:

When I wanted to trade up in the automotive "food chain", I started my hunt for a Fiat Dino .... later to become the Ferrari Dino and the "308" series. The Fiats were at the time "under valued" as were the 308's. On a few occasions I would see one that I could afford and call the guy ........ "I took it out this weekend and forgot how much fun it was so I'm going to hang on to it".

6 months later (same Dino & same phone #) ..... "I raced it this weekend and decided to keep it."

Same thing on a few "bargain" 308's ...... "sold two days ago" or "changed my mind" ........ but you would see the car listed a few months later.

My conclusion was that they kept us buying the "rag", keeping their circulation numbers up. Just like the guys at the dock (fishing) .... they were always killing em' yesterday.

Hell .... I'd have been up to Elmira NY to grab that 67/427 for that price in three hours flat! Prices like that will keep you coming back to the site won't it, but many on those ads were mid summer ..... those cars were long gone .. if they ever existed at all. Just IMHO.

Crazy Pricing

65-to-00 said:
There used to be a few publications in the pre internet days that you would pick up a the local news stand for something like $1.50 a copy.

They had names like "Want ad Press" or Car Trader ... something like that, it's been awhile.

At the time, I was buying "tired" MG's and 914's that just needed TLC for $500 or so and putting in lots of "sweat equity", never making any real money but I always had a fun summer car for cheaps at the end of the project. Bought some parts here and there and it was fun and I saved $$$. A kid in upstate NY would have a set of "mini-lite" mags for $100 etc, so some of the deals were real, but:

When I wanted to trade up in the automotive "food chain", I started my hunt for a Fiat Dino .... later to become the Ferrari Dino and the "308" series. The Fiats were at the time "under valued" as were the 308's. On a few occasions I would see one that I could afford and call the guy ........ "I took it out this weekend and forgot how much fun it was so I'm going to hang on to it".

6 months later (same Dino & same phone #) ..... "I raced it this weekend and decided to keep it."

Same thing on a few "bargain" 308's ...... "sold two days ago" or "changed my mind" ........ but you would see the car listed a few months later.

My conclusion was that they kept us buying the "rag", keeping their circulation numbers up. Just like the guys at the dock (fishing) .... they were always killing em' yesterday.

Hell .... I'd have been up to Elmira NY to grab that 67/427 for that price in three hours flat! Prices like that will keep you coming back to the site won't it, but many on those ads were mid summer ..... those cars were long gone .. if they ever existed at all. Just IMHO.

I sent emails to all three ads the night I started this thread - and absolutely no response. I'm assuming a dead scam, or it could be something like you mentioned. Oh well - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Steven

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom