Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

40th Anniversary Thinking About Buying

1993 40th Anniversary Corvette Topic

berry1133@bellsouth.net

Hello all. I currently have an '07 Z06 and an '81 Vette. I'm looking at a Ruby Red convertible to add to the barn. The vehicle has 96,000 miles and is still with the original owner. Only issue is with the AC. He has made me aware that the unit may need a seal because it has to be charged from time to time. I wasn't aware that R12 was still being used in the 93 model year. Are there any other concerns or questions that I should be asking the owner?

Thanks.

I would ask what kind of service has been done. Are all the fluids the ones the car came with? If so they should all be changed out since its getting up around 100K and they are almost 20 years old. Power steering, tranny service, brake fluid, anti-freeze and so on. Plugs, wires, anything done there....what about the brakes. You can get some money into getting all that done or not as much if you can do it yourself. Opti? Those are some of the things I would be interested in if I were looking at a car like that. Good luck on it....

If you bring it to a dealer for the A/C work figure $1,200. They will, at least, replace the condenser and dryer, replace the belt (a good thing) evacuate the system, despite the fact it's empty, refill and test. Conversion t R31 will be recommended, extra.

Thanks for the info. What exactly is the opti? That doesn't exist on my '07 or '81

Thanks.

The Opti-Spark is the ignition system that Gm used on the LT1 which mounts on the front of the engine and is suseptable to moisture getting to it and causing problems. Some folks don't seem to have a problem with it but others curse it and try to come up with aftermarket systems to replace it. There is a ton of info on the forums about the Opti so you may want to read up on them. It can be a source of headaches.

100K Service

Ditto what Huskerman said...I just had my 96 LT4 serviced after it passed 100K...all fluids changed, new plugs and plug wires and a total look over to see if anything else needed attention. GM doesn't make the plug wires for my car...in fact, I'm finding that much of what I'll need to keep the car on the road will come from after market providers. That's something else to keep in mind. I will say that the car runs better and all the systems opperate more quietly...the transmission in particular. I love the Ruby Red 93s...good luck if you decide to pull the trigger. You may have some additional $$s to spend after you buy the car but it will not disappoint.
Best, Bruce in St Pete, FL

Hello all my new Ruby family. I pulled the trigger on a Ruby. Here are the stats: 75,000 miles, new Michelin Pilots all the way around, new seat stock seat covers, new convertible top, just received the 75,000 mi service. I noticed an oil leak at the back of the engine. I have a local corvette shop mechanic coming to my house (I have a lift in my garage) on Saturday to replace intake manifold gasket, valve cover gaskets, and replace oil sending unit (if its leaking). I took the time to very meticulously clean the exterior and interior. This is my way of officially "indoctrinating" my Vettes. I'm loving my ruby. And, it looks nice sitting next to my '81 vette and my '07 Z06.
I'm sure I will be leaning on you guys a lot for knowledge.

Congrats on your "new" Ruby.

The oil leak could be the intake easy enough. When you get around to cleaning the engine bay, try not to get the Opti very wet. The early Opti's don't like taking a bath. I found the using a blower or an air compressor to "dry" the water away quickly works good.

Check out the headlights and make sure they are working well. If there's any lag in the motors turning off, it might mean time for new bushings in the drive for the lights.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the info Tuna. As for the lights, they do go up just fine however, when retracting, it continues to turn after they have come to their resting position. It makes a sound like plastic gears turning but the light assembly not able to move.

Make sure when the mechanic replaces the intake manifold gaskets he uses Permatex's The Right Stuff to seal up the valley ends. It works great and will last. See your local auto parts store for it.

The C4 is a great Corvette and the Ruby is special. You will have one major problem, what Corvette do I drive today - I have the same problem. I just rotate them and continue to take one out at a time until it gets dirty, then I wash it, park it in the garage, and take another one out. Love driving them all. One item that was not mentioned was the tire pressure monitoring system. The bands and piezometric sensors are no longer available (I think I got the last one from GM for my 94 about 5 years ago) and they are specific for each wheel. You have to find them on the web through salvage dealers. If one of yours malfunctions, make sure you get a replacement for the 1993-96 years. The TPS sensors for the pre 1993s will not work, nor have I heard of any aftermarket system working. If you don't have run-flats, then you should not have a problem, provided that the TPS option is not on the car. If it is, then you may have to remove the bulb behind the DIC for the LTPWS, etc. I have heard that the TPS system can be reprogrammed in the C4 computer, but I have not seen it actually done. One great feature for the C4 is that it still has a spare tire; bad feature is that the luggage space is limited, but you are used to it with your C3.
Enjoy the Corvette - you will love your C4.
Barrett

Thanks for the tips Red Vettes. I am not running run-flats. In fact, I'll have to look at my valve stems when I get home to see if there are any sensors on the wheels. Thanks again.

Oh yeah. By the way Red Vette. Just as you do, I rotate mine out ( or sometimes it's based on my mood. If I want to feel xtra powerful, I'll jump in the Z06) I too will clean it up prior to storing. I like the idea of always getting into a clean one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom