Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thinking about TPIS Miniram

qblue90

Corvette
1990 Quasar Blue 6 spd,Z51,FX3,J55,GT7
Hello CAC! Can anyone tell me how much of a performance gain I could expect by installing a Miniram on my car. 5hp, 10hp, 60hp?? Would it still feel like it runs out of breath at 4500rpm? I have zero mods... 46K miles... Rear gear is 3.33. I ass-u-me that I'd need a new chip also as my car is MAP. Is TPIS a good supplier of chips or is there a better option? I would just like some more "oomph" out of my car. For what I have, is this a good place to start?... bang for the buckwise..? I've also read that an LT1 intake would do the same for me as the Mini except it is(or could be) a less expensive option. Less expensive = better IMO. What would I need to look for to go the LT1 route? Will either option cause driveability issues? Should I just be happy and leave a stock vette alone?

Thanks everyone

Kev

Thanks for the reply VB. Forgive my ignorance, but I dont see where the discussion you posted answers any of my questions. I know the miniram is a butt load o' cash.. From the looks of it, the HSR is not any cheaper at all. Am I missing something? I was really hoping for someone to chime in who's "been there, did that"...

Can anyone tell me how much of a performance gain I could expect by installing a Miniram on my car. 5hp, 10hp, 60hp?? Would it still feel like it runs out of breath at 4500rpm? I have zero mods...
Yes it will run and give you more revs BUT
Waste off money on stock engine.
MR will run to 7000 so needs heads / cam to optimise performance.
Or put another way
The MR runs 3000-7000K
Stock heads top out at say 5500
Stock cam dies at 5000
So you end up with a pig down low that won't rev out because it can't breathe.

Hello CAC! Can anyone tell me how much of a performance gain I could expect by installing a Miniram on my car. 5hp, 10hp, 60hp?? Would it still feel like it runs out of breath at 4500rpm? I have zero mods... 46K miles... Rear gear is 3.33. I ass-u-me that I'd need a new chip also as my car is MAP. Is TPIS a good supplier of chips or is there a better option? I would just like some more "oomph" out of my car. For what I have, is this a good place to start?... bang for the buckwise..? I've also read that an LT1 intake would do the same for me as the Mini except it is(or could be) a less expensive option. Less expensive = better IMO. What would I need to look for to go the LT1 route? Will either option cause driveability issues? Should I just be happy and leave a stock vette alone?

Thanks everyone

Kev

Kev-

Having done a couple of TPI retrofits- personally, I'd go with an LT1 swap. Of course, you'll have to drill new intake bolt holes and tap for a remote thermostat. Add some 1.6 offset rockers & perhaps a larger cam and your Vette should wake up pretty nice. You could do all this for <$1.5k.

BTW- You'll likely need to get your PROM custom tuned to get the most out of either the TPIS or LT1 swap.

On a stock Vette... BBK has a new intake that looks pretty good (dyno shets). Again, adding new 1.6 roller rockers and your Vette should respond nicely. You could get out for under <$1k.

Will either option cause driveability issues?
Nope - not as long as everything is in workin' order. But the first time something goes wrong, diagnostics could be a problem. And it's tough enough doin' diags on a STOCK setup uh huh.

Should I just be happy and leave a stock vette alone?

Thanks everyone
Kev
IMO? Yup.

Got cash to spend? Buy the FSM and get readin'. Knowledge is king. Cash comes and goes... ;)

Thanks for the reply VB. Forgive my ignorance, but I dont see where the discussion you posted answers any of my questions. I know the miniram is a butt load o' cash.. From the looks of it, the HSR is not any cheaper at all. Am I missing something? I was really hoping for someone to chime in who's "been there, did that"...

Did you by chance look at this article Articles That Use Comp Cams® Products

It was contained within that thread.

...Got cash to spend? Buy the FSM and get readin'. Knowledge is king. Cash comes and goes... ;)

Great point, Schrade!!!:thumb

So here is a rough table between cost and parts. Horsepower moves higher from green through red.

Low cost--------------Medium cost-------------High cost
SLP runners-----------SLP runners------------------Miniram intake
Custom tune----------Full length headers---------Full length headers
Off-road pipes--------Custom tune-----------------Aftermarket heads
--------------------------Mild cam----------------------Custom tune
--------------------------Larger base plate-----------Larger base & throttle body
--------------------------Off-road exhaust------------Progressive cam
-----------------------------------------------------------Off road exhaust

Unfortunately, there isn't really a cheap way to develop a lot of power.;shrug

Hope that helps.

On a stock Vette... BBK has a new intake that looks pretty good (dyno shets).

Don't hold your breath :ugh
Was announced in '04 and no one has seen one yet.
Most people looking for a upgrade have bought an alternative intake or died waiting

Much discussed
BBK TPI intake setup ($399.00) - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

bbk tpi intake for sale @ summit - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

The FIRST intake is currently looking like the best big bore TPI option ; 300 cfm.
http://www.nttga.net/forums/showpost.php?p=168679&postcount=1

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-...yone-used-these-intakes-before-first-tpi.html

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom