Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thinking of buying a C4 vert...

MaineShark

Corvette
1979 L82, 1987 Buick Grand National
Much as I'd hate to part with them, I'm seriously considering selling my '79 and my Buick Grand National, and buying a C4...

I'd like to have a more "turn key" car than the Shark, and a more practical car than the GN ($300 for new rear tires every 3000 miles wears thin...)

I'd also like to get a convertible, since I've never owned one before, and I like the wind, but constantly removing and re-installing T-tops gets old.

And, lastly, I'd like to have less money tied up in vehicles, for the moment. I want to do a scary-fast project (not sure just what, exactly) in a few years, so I'd like to save up some money for that.

Among other possibilities, there is a '95 vert for sale locally. Green paint, beige top and interior, auto (yeah, I know, but it's less aggravating in tourist traffic), 63k miles. It looks like it's in very good condition, at least from the outside. The guy is asking $19k, which I think is a bit high (right?), but I can either talk him down, or look for something else.

Any thoughts?

One question I do have, is what sort of performance I can expect? I mean, I've gotten used to the slam-you-in-the-seat accelleration of the GN, and I don't expect that exact reaction from a '95 vert with an auto trans, but how comparable will it be?

Joe

Hey Joe, where in Maine are you????? (Dont worry Im not interested in the vert.) 19k is TO MUCH for a 95 vert (in this part of the world) LT-1's normally run quite STRONG!!!! But not as strong as the G.N. I have a buddy looking for a WELL used GN. What is yours worth to ya?????? Let me know. Paul:D

Paul, check your email :)

Joe

You should be able to buy a nice C4 ragtop with reasonable mileage for the 8-12K range. They are real nice. Just what this Doctor ordered!

Doc

19K is high for a 95 vert with 63k miles.

The 95 should actually be faster than the GN. I have spent alot of time in each.
Totally differnt cars, on has a soft ride and one doesnt. The GN can (stock) run in the 13s, the 95 will do it with ease (even when its hot out). The GN has a rev limiter and wont go past 122, the C4 will top 160. If thats important to you.

I would say 15,000 is a good price for a 95 vert., and thats being generous.

Joe I agree with the other replies regarding the 95 roadster with 63K miles, 19K is to much,it should be in the 13K to 15K range at best ,i have the same car only it is a 96 with 30K miles and if i put it up for sale my asking price would be in the 22K range,so before you buy the 95 for 19K contact me. Tom

My 92 Vert with the A4 has very good acceleration and I can pretty much light the tires up at any traffic light. I went from a series of manual tranny Vettes to an auto as I was simply tired of shifting. It's still fun to drive and I don't mid the auto at all. The 4L60E is a good strong tranny and a TransGo shift kit will help with tranny life and give you some really firm shifts at WOT.

Ond great thing about C4 Verts is that you don't have the buffeting that the C5's show. With the top down and the windows up, I can drive in light rain and cool weather and still stay dry and warm.

The top is very easy to put down, but you do lose some of the already small storage space behind the seats. I learned to be very creative when travelling in my vert.

As far as performance, you should easily see mid-13's at the strip and you can hit around 160 for a top end. There were only two gears ratios available with the auto 2.59 and 3.07 with little differences in performance. Changing to around a 3.50 or even a 3.73 will make a BIG difference and still keep gas mileage at a respectable level. The best MPG I ever saw with my 92 with the 3.07 was 31.2 at 83MPH on cruise control and on a trip to Montana one year, I was able to get the digital speedo to 160.

My vert is Polo Green and light beige interior and I always get compliments on that color combination. People call it a very classy color and it really stands out in a crowd of C4's.

$15K would be a very good price if everything is in good condition. If the car has the FX3 suspension, make sure that everything is working as it can big-$$$'s to fix. Don't expect a lot from the radio (even if the car has the Bose Gold system) with the top down or with a bunch of stuff in the back cargo area. The rear speakers don't provide much if they are blocked by stuff.

If you are going to use the car as a daily driver, think about finding a factory hardtop for the car in the winter months. They add a tremendous amount of rigidity to the car when installed and actually makes them stiffer than a coupe. When my hardtop is on, all of the squeaks and rattles go away and the car is much quieter inside even with my B&B TriFlo system and its resonance.

MaineShark said:
Much as I'd hate to part with them, I'm seriously considering selling my '79 and my Buick Grand National, and buying a C4...

I'd like to have a more "turn key" car than the Shark, and a more practical car than the GN ($300 for new rear tires every 3000 miles wears thin...)

I'd also like to get a convertible, since I've never owned one before, and I like the wind, but constantly removing and re-installing T-tops gets old.

And, lastly, I'd like to have less money tied up in vehicles, for the moment. I want to do a scary-fast project (not sure just what, exactly) in a few years, so I'd like to save up some money for that.

Among other possibilities, there is a '95 vert for sale locally. Green paint, beige top and interior, auto (yeah, I know, but it's less aggravating in tourist traffic), 63k miles. It looks like it's in very good condition, at least from the outside. The guy is asking $19k, which I think is a bit high (right?), but I can either talk him down, or look for something else.

Any thoughts?

One question I do have, is what sort of performance I can expect? I mean, I've gotten used to the slam-you-in-the-seat accelleration of the GN, and I don't expect that exact reaction from a '95 vert with an auto trans, but how comparable will it be?

Joe
I have owned a C4 vert before (an '87) and loved it. I would much rather have a 'vert than a coupe, and would trade someone in an instant if the right deal came along. The only problem is.... any Corvette Convertible holds its value very well. This is good for long term, but bad for buying!

If it were me, I would go for an older C4 'vert... it is tough to lose $$ on them.

I think the 19k price for that '95 is fair asking price... you should be able to talk him down a bit though.

Before you buy, check out the prices of C4 'verts in general... you really can't find one for less than $10k (at least one that is in decent condition without a ton of miles on it). I sold my '87 for a little over $10k in 1998... it would still be worth that today. The prices of the older C4 'verts have not moved in all these years (while coupes have gone down). I don't predict any more movement in the 'vert market... as a matter of fact, with the prices of C5's and C6's, the C4 'vert could actually go up in value over the next 10 years (not much, but some)

hope this helps...

Check the Toronto area auto trader (southern Ontario) and you will find 90's verts for as low as 9KUS.

Do you know what the exchange rate is off hand? (approx. is fine)

Does anyone know how hard it is to buy a car from Canada? (if it is hard at all)

found an exchange rate... roughly multiply .75 X canada $ = american $.

I checked that web site, and didn't see any 90's 'verts for $9k. did I miss something?

I think a Canuck buck is about 75 cents US so knock off a quarter of the list price. That 88 in the link would be about $7500US! Use the search in the trader to narrow 'em down. As for bringing it over I suspect you can search that too through Canada Customs.

Vettelt193 said:
found an exchange rate... roughly multiply .75 X canada $ = american $.

I checked that web site, and didn't see any 90's 'verts for $9k. did I miss something?
It changes every week. Prices are high now because it is the season to drive them up here.

RJSROCKET said:
It changes every week. Prices are high now because it is the season to drive them up here.
gotcha... thanks. I need to keep an eye out for Canada's prices... I have wanted a convertible for some time now, and haven't found a good deal on one:(

Thanks for all the great thoughts, guys. Keep 'em coming! :)

Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom