Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thinking of Dealer-Installed Accessories..... Suggestions?

ThrottleUp

Preparation Mode: To-Do List to welcome the new Vette to my garage.

Going to make a Museum Pickup in less than 2 weeks so.....Thought I would ask the group their opinion of certain accessories I'm thinking of adding right away, the day I return from the trip home......which I can install OR which I might let a dealer install for me. Might there be future issues in two areas? (1) Warranty and possible voiding, and (2) Resale, does it detract from "original" factory-stock value of car.

Planned Accessories:
- Underhood Crossed-Flags Liner and Lamp
- Body Color Door Handles
- Windscreen

Car is Jetstream Blue GS Convertible. :happyanim:

I don't know if the underhood liner is mechanically efficicient or just decorative. For instance, I would not want to trap excess heat under the hood (I live in South Texas for God's sake), or have the liner attract/absorb so much dirt/dust it shakes off the dust onto the engine when I close the hood. Suggestions?

Also worried if the Windscreen requires drilling of new holes which would be a possible route of corrosion, squeaks, rattles, etc. Also is it possible to leave it up 24X7, etc. Opinions?

Assuming a dealer has plenty of experience working on Vettes (I'm lucky to have two Chevy nearby dealers that run high-performance parts and service many high-HP machines), is that the preferred route to avoid warranty issues? :confused

(I'm extra cautious because I once added an AC to the dealer order for a new Z-28 and forever after, had problems at the shop since they seemed to blame everything on that "non-stock" (was a Chevy P/N) AC. "What..... my wheel is out of alignment because of the non-standard AC??" :eyerole

Also, any other accessories recommended by the group? :rotfl

A Corvette already has an underhood liner. It is just regular black. I painted my own liner using Testors paint pens. It isn't as fancy as the one you can buy from GM but I did it myself.

The body colored door handle trim pieces are held in place with two screws. You can replace those yourself if you like.

I can't speak to the windscreen as I own a coupe.

The underhood liner and door handle trim pieces will present no warranty concern.

As for resale, it should not make a difference. Just make sure to keep the original pieces.

You might want to look at the full width spoiler...

GS_01.jpg

The POS the factory puts on looks silly compared to this, and yes it comes painted and is a perfect match. Took me less than an hour to install. The dealer will do it for about an hours labor.

You can also purchase a decal for the under hood liner. Looks real good. The painted liner you purchase is a stock liner that has the logos painted. I think, it looks real sharp. Just got my 11 C6 GS 2 weeks ago and I am also considering either doing the decal or replacing the liner. Another good looking mod is the body painted rails. Again, looks real sharp. Only problem with these mods is, if you do not show your car, only you and your mechanic will see them.

A couple of pictures that might tickle your interest...

Spoiler by General Motors
Underhood Insulator by CarMotorsports.com
100_7483.jpg100_7485.jpg100_7488.jpg100_7484.jpg100_7482.jpg 100_7487.jpg

Wow BigJimZ16, you have chosen some delectable tidbits to enhance your car...... I still can't get over how beautiful that color is! Your car looks awesome, and the liner is choice. Also, the rear spoiler does look better than the standard raised center brake-light holder..... I shudder to think how expensive it might be though.... plus how solid is it and how well it holds on (is it bolted on or glued?)
Actually I had hoped Chevy would design it into the body to begin with. (My '69 Mustang Mach 1 had a spoiler of about the same proportion standard and I thought it was tastefully done.)

Would like facts and details on your mods..... Are these official GM accessories? Where who can I buy from and who installs?

Have you thought about a Windscreen.... heard any comments about?

By the way someone on a post said that the Museum can/will install accessories..... do you think this would be preferred over a dealer?

By the way I've been an apartment-rat forever, until a year ago so don't have tools yet in my garage (thinking about getting some though). So installing items myself might not be so practical yet.

Wow BigJimZ16, you have chosen some delectable tidbits to enhance your car...... I still can't get over how beautiful that color is! Your car looks awesome, and the liner is choice. Also, the rear spoiler does look better than the standard raised center brake-light holder..... I shudder to think how expensive it might be though.... plus how solid is it and how well it holds on (is it bolted on or glued?)
Actually I had hoped Chevy would design it into the body to begin with. (My '69 Mustang Mach 1 had a spoiler of about the same proportion standard and I thought it was tastefully done.)

Would like facts and details on your mods..... Are these official GM accessories? Where who can I buy from and who installs?

Have you thought about a Windscreen.... heard any comments about?

By the way someone on a post said that the Museum can/will install accessories..... do you think this would be preferred over a dealer?

By the way I've been an apartment-rat forever, until a year ago so don't have tools yet in my garage (thinking about getting some though). So installing items myself might not be so practical yet.

Thanks for the compliments! The spoiler is a Genuine GM Accessory, available at your local Chebby Dealer or from Gene Culley... about $350. It installs with six bolts and 3M tape at the outside edges. Uses two bolt holes from the shorty spoiler, you need to locate and drill 4 7mm holes for the additional width. The provided template is excellent. The Coil Covers came from Southern Car Parts if I remember correctly, the hood liner was custom embroidered by Carmotorsports,com in Georgia. You should see the one he made for my Z16!!!

I like the look of the "smoothie" fuel rail covers when they are painted to match the color of your car.

I added those and several other painted component covers under the hood.

:beer:beer

You might want to look at the full width spoiler...

View attachment 3379

The POS the factory puts on looks silly compared to this, and yes it comes painted and is a perfect match. Took me less than an hour to install. The dealer will do it for about an hours labor.

BigJimZ16,

Do you remember what the GM part number of that spoiler is? From what I can find there are three models sold. But parts department works from P/N's only.

BigJimZ16,

Do you remember what the GM part number of that spoiler is? From what I can find there are three models sold. But parts department works from P/N's only.

For Jet Stream Blue the part# is 19172812. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom