Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

throttle body bypass

garylt

Corvette
2005 Corvette, Black 6 speed Coupe
On a 1986, how do you do a throttle bypass. Are the hozes the same size.

Living in Iowa as I see your profile indicates, I would think twice about removing the coolant hose to the throttle body. You're liable to encounter drivability problems when the weather is cold enough to cause throttle plate icing.

Besides, the power gain is insignificant; the main benefit is a cooler throttle body so you won't burn your hand as easily if you place it on that area while the engine's warm. ;)

Thanks Ken, I'll leave it like it is. garylt

I am kind of curious as to what temp the icing would occur. Isn't there enough heat from the engine, that would prevent it, in slightly cooler temps. I am not sure about winter, but who drives their vette in the winter.

I actually bypassed mine using a flush and fill T. I plan on replacing my hoses with Earl's hose over time, so I figure I'll just do that one first.

vetteboy86 said:
I am kind of curious as to what temp the icing would occur. Isn't there enough heat from the engine, that would prevent it, in slightly cooler temps. I am not sure about winter, but who drives their vette in the winter.

I DO! But, it's mild here. I don't think the icing is a problem until you're in the 20's :)

I just did mine, because I thought what the heck. I dont drive mine in the winter. The coldest temp's I would drive in is the 40's. When I drive it when it is that cold out, I always let it warm up to operating temp, before I drive. Do you think it will be a problem to start it up periodically in the winer just to run a little?

vetteboy86, what did you use to change your hoses. garylt. Did it do any better after the change.

I used a connector and just spliced the two hoses together using a connector, and I was good to go. I had to take off the TB to get the passenger side coolant hose off, then just connect. It was hard to get the IAC connector back in without some figitting but it all went back together, and no leaks. I don't know how it would ice up with as much heat that the motor throws out, but I guess I will find out this winter, when I start it up and what not. It is a easy project if you do it, I even reused the old hose clamps. This is the same way my brother did it also aka Vetteboy86.

Thanks, vwttefan87, for your info on this. garylt

The iceing may have more to do with the pressure drop throught the throttle body, pressure drop means temp drop. I have seen on some small tractors the carb. icing in 40 deg temps due to the small venture size. Keep in mind that a carb on a car engine has heat under it.
:w

gary, you can find specific info if you do a search. If you need a pic, I'll take one and post it, but this info is readily available ;) :w

t.b.bypass

i bought one for my car,then when i got it the directions said DO NOT INSTALL if temps outside get below freezing!no gains from it anyway,i had one on my 95.so,here it sits on my coffee table while i wonder what to do with it!oh,and i live in ny,so temps get below freezing!

No gains should be expected, as some have posted.

I had carb icing on a Civic in MN, years ago. Why would you do this? :w

If anyone does decide to do this mod, buy a piece of pipe from your local hardware store and save some money. ;)

I've had mine done for over a year, and through a Canadian Winter, no problem on winter startups or anything.

As far as a gain, who knows, I ported and polished the plenum, runners and intake, dropped in a 160 stat, and did the bypass all at the same time.

She kicks butt, but did it help........maybe.....maybe not, did it hurt... nope, was it a cheap mod....yup.

Mart

I bought a hose repair kit from Home Depot. Had two hose clamps and a splice connector. Cost me under $3. Drove the car all winter with no problems and actually rid myself of a small coolant leak from the IAC assembly under the TB, which is where the coolant flows. The bolts had rusted and loosened enough that it was dripping a little.

The only issue is that the IAC connector is right where the two hoses splice together so it can be a chore to get things to line up, and if you aren't careful which way the hose clamps face then one might snag on the throttle return spring (or whatever that's called).

My mechanic wound up replacing the two hoses with some generic piece that had the right-angle bend in it. Not sure the hose was more than a couple bucks, but I don't have the bill handy.
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom