Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Throttle body coolant bypass

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Hi while I'm doing an intake gasket replacement on my 90 (actually a a Callaway) I'm considering bypassing the throttle body coolant lines and installing a bypass as it looks so easy to do.

I did this before on my 93 LT1 and I notice that kits are available for LT1/LT4 s and C5s but not for the L98.

Is there a reason for this? I would have thought any 350 Corvette engine could benefit from the potentially cooler intake air?

BTW I didn't bother using one of the available kits for my LT1, Ijust used a hose connector you can buy anywhere. From memory the hoses were a different bore so I used a reducing connector. I'll have to check my L98.

Anyone done this and thought it was worth doing?

This simple mod works on many engines if a kit is available or not.

I didnt use a kit either for my 95, I just cut the hose and connected it to the pipe on the passenger side of the manifold.

With the lower temp therm, the fan overide switch and the TB bypass I noticed better mileage and the car seems more responsive. Considering that its a free mod I think its worth doing.

Check out my website for a link to some pictures of some other simple C4 mods.

By-Pass

You can just remove the hoses, and cap the conectors off at all ends. The only reasons that I can think of for using the kits is if you need to replace the hoses often, such as to pass smog test, or if you live in colder climats (freezing), and use the heating quality for the throttle body.

Just run a new piece of hose from the intake to the heater core, you will see once you look at it. An additional benefit is that once the TB is bypassed you don't have to mess with draining some coolant out to remove and clean the TB.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom