Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Throttle Performance Switch

Ripp 73

Corvette
1973 L82 Blue Coupe
I just received my Mid America Magazine and was flipping through when I found a Throttle Performance Switch for L83's, L98's, LT1's and LT4's. This is on page 57 of the all years book (53 - 06). I was curious if anyone has added this to their Vettes? Has anyone noticed any difference? It doesn't say there is any HP increase or anything but to know that the throttle is there when you really want it might be something to think about. Of course I know the throttle is always there in a Vette. It also says that this mod is not recommended for use with computer chips or programmers... any clues as to why?

609205.jpg

Here is the internet link to what I am talking about.

Rip, I don't have any info to offer but I would be interested to know the results after you install yours.
Jimmy

This mod will not increase HP. What it does is trick the computer into believing that it's running WOT while it really isn't. I think that's so it'll deliver more fuel.

Does it work? I'm sure it does. But I don't think it will really do that much for you.

Yeah I think Edmond is right. It acutally tells the computer that you are at WOT when you are only at part throttle. This allows the throttle response to get much better I would imagine. I think you are not recommended to use them with chips probably because of timing issues, or air fuel ratios, probably something like that.

Not sure how it works exactally, but I've seen them before. I think Ecklers has the same thing and said something about some cars don't get the full 5 volts at WOT and this thing tricks the computer into thinking its getting 5 volts.

Part of the reason why they say not to use it with chips or programmers is when you are at WOT the computer goes into open loop .... so it is not controlling the engine (to some extent.) A chip with a greater advance curve or fuel curve may conflict with this thing and since the computer is not using the O2 sensor you may end up leaning out the engine too much.

I think the better thing to do would be adjust your TPS so that you are at .54 volts at idle .... then you should be really close to 5 volts at WOT.

:w

That is good info gerald, I think that when I adjust mine, I dont quite get to the 5 volt mark. I will have to check again, how cruicial is it to hit 5 volts at WOT? Basically does 4.8 or 4.9 tell the computer the same thing?

vetteboy86 said:
That is good info gerald, I think that when I adjust mine, I dont quite get to the 5 volt mark. I will have to check again, how cruicial is it to hit 5 volts at WOT? Basically does 4.8 or 4.9 tell the computer the same thing?

From what I've seen YES. I don't think mine actually gets to the 5 volt mark either. I think its due to the fact that the sensor is only set up to read 0 to 5 volts, with the car at idle you have it set at .54 volts so there is only 4.46 left. Which is strange 'cos mine has read 4.8 to 4.95 at WOT and it is set at .54 at idle.

:w

I agree with hrtbeat1. I placed one of these on my 92, which has a chip, and had to take it off. On acceleration there was extremely poor performance/stalling. After I took it off, the engine problem was resolved.

Not worth it eh?

vader86 said:
Complete crap.

Well, from the consensus on here it sounds like this is not a good investment. Especially if Lord Vader says it's "crap".

darth.vader.lg.jpg

Maybe this will be a warning to others not to spend the $100 or so for this item.

Thanks all.

Edmond said:
This mod will not increase HP. What it does is trick the computer into believing that it's running WOT while it really isn't. I think that's so it'll deliver more fuel.

Does it work? I'm sure it does. But I don't think it will really do that much for you.

yes, and "fixes" a mis-adjusted Throttle Position Sensor...

vader86 said:
Complete crap.

The Dark Side has spoken. :L

Okay, what do you guys really expect with Star Wars coming out today and all...:L:L:L

Edmond said:
Okay, what do you guys really expect with Star Wars coming out today and all...:L:L:L
Star Wars is coming out today? From where? The closet? :D

Those gimmicks that reprogram a propely running engine should not be considered. Especially at that price. Find a good tuner and pay to have the job done right the first time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom